Interior design/decorating-How do i get into this field?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by tonysimpson, Aug 23, 2011.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 23, 2011 #1

tonysimpson

tonysimpson

tonysimpson

I have just finished my gap year, and I am interested in interior decorating/design. I know what my skills are, and what i am capable of etc, but I don't know how exactly to get into this particular field, The tafe courses in my areas are irrelevant, and university websites are actually quite unhelpful.
    Its not a common job i guess, so this might be difficult.Im feeling a bit stuck!

If anyone knows anyone who is in this profession, ask them how they got there for me!

2. Aug 25, 2011 #2

andertonj

andertonj

andertonj

Hi there,

Interior Designing is a vast field very few people know this. First you have to decide in which designing course you want to get in. There are two kind of course in designing viz diploma and certification. Now, you decide what you want to do?

3. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Do you have an art school near by? This is where my friend got started.

4. May 19, 2012 #4

BobAristide

BobAristide

BobAristide

Faux stone panels

I learned that if you like what you are doing you will be great at it. It has to start with some kind of passion. You can't ( like someone did in a different field :) ) just go into a profession because lots of people are making good money there. It will catch up with you.
    If it's your calling you will learn a lot by reading, offering free consulting to friends and yes, take courses.

5. Jun 1, 2012 #5

JohnCarrick

JohnCarrick

JohnCarrick

New Member Sponsor

The smaller the room, the more concerned you should be about using the available space efficiently. People who favor a Spartan d├ęcor have a distinct advantage over those with luxurious tastes - the less stuff you have, the easier it is to accommodate