It started as just replacing moldy caulking and turned in to full reno

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billshack

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago i saw some caulking around the bath tub that had turned blackish, so i cut out about 18 inches of the old caulking with my exacto knife and then went and bought a tub of ultra 11 white caulking, when i was finished it looked so good. that i decided to do the whole tub.
when that was done it looked so good i really clean the steel enamel tub . that looked so good i called in a tub refinisher. that looked so good. i ended up replastering and painting the room . changing the toilet, medicine cabinet, lights, heater, ect ect ect. did this ever happen to you

Been there done that many times, but at the time it was other peoples homes and I was getting paid to do it so that worked for me!

Hell yeah, right in my own home. But I hate ripping out the new material that I just put in because I didn't think it through. So now I stop and think first.

I started by turning on the water at the main in the house we bought that sat two years with no heat. Had a couple leaks where the PVC that was attached to the steel and then turned into copper. So I went and bought some PVC and couplers and glue and fixed the bad spots. Turned the water on and found fittings leaking and some copper leaking. Went and bought more stuff and patched all that and turned the water on and more leaks in walls and down stream. I had the better part of two day wasted and went over to the water meter and sawed the pipe off and unscrewed it. Went shopping came home and plumbed the whole house with PEX in a day and a half. Turned water on and both ball valves in the dual shower had also froze and busted. Replaced them and haven’t had so much as a leak in the last 5 years. This winter I finally got around to ripping all the old pipe out wherever I could get to it.

I have a hundred take 2 steps forward and 1 step back stories.

Back