Keyed paint on 4 mo old car

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Angie

Last Wed or Thursday I was parked for little less than an hour at a Walmart. In a handicapped space with mirror hanging placard I use when with aunt, or parents that have one on their car.

Anyway, when I come out with Aunt, she is looking at her side of my car, and it is now keyed from back quarter panel to front icon on front quarter panel. I've never had that done before. I have reported it to insurance and have to set a time for them to look at it.

What have you done in cases such as this on your cars, if you've had this experience.

View attachment 3422

Attachments

• keyed scratch on back door of car.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 60
I have never experienced that. I would not be happy.

I too would be pissed. Are they jealous because you were using a handicapped spot? Did they think you were a bad driver before you pulled into that spot? Was someone jealous because it was a nice car? maybe racial? Sometimes I just hate people, pure and simple.

Some people just do stuff like that because they are a**holes, they need no other reason.

No one seemed to be around or wanting that parking spot. We saw no one when we came out. And all I can figure out is just random vandalism or they did not like my Alabama license plate. But it was in a decent neighborhood, so that seems not too likely, but some think that could be the issue.

Anyway, I did make a claim on auto insurance and now have an appointment to see the cost and what insurance will do to fix it. Of course, $500 deductible may be a large issue on the fix.

The Fantom blue paint markers are only about $15 or $20. It may end up with that and me and a very fine paint brush touching it up.

If it's not through the clear coat then 3m rubbing compound will get it out for 10 bucks and some elbow grease.

Both of those ideas are really great. I'll have to look at it more but I know it's down enough to get past the blue but I don't think down to the metal.

Ugh! I hate when people key cars. I just don't get it. Someone keyed our Expedition once-- not sure why-- maybe they didn't like SUVs. We buffed it out with a kit like Chris mentioned.

Just makes you wish you could find who did it and key their face though...

At least it was just lines and not words. I saw a relatively nice car and someone had scrawled WITCH with a capital B on her hood and keyed the top of her car, the sides, every door, the front, and back...

Walmart seems to attract some real degenerates. Last night after the tornado hit our local Walmart's parking lot, I saw some jerk try to steal a riding cart. He attempted to pick it up and put it in the back of his truck but it was too heavy so he dropped it and then fled.

zannej there are just some nasty mean people out there. This afternoon (if the storm is not here by then) I go get an estimate to fix it.

I'm thinking since I have a $500 deductible I'll be doing the something and not a car body shop.

Insurance didn't help when I had a back window bashed in by a fire extinguisher and a stupid teen kid back some years ago. Under the $500 limit.

So, I do not have high expectations.

The insurance guy says the whole side of the car needs to be repainted. Willing to go up to $1400. I need to talk to the garage/body shop I learned the Kia dealer uses for stuff like this.

I just think it's too much. I'll have to see about it.

Damn! They must have keyed it very deeply then. :-(

If I were you, I'd ask the police to request security footage from the store so you can try to find out who vandalized your car (if the police will do that).

Walmart will usually do it.

It's in Missouri and I'm going to insurance here in Alabama. Next time I go up to Missouri I could ask the store but I think it would be a month since the scratching.

I hope to take it to the shop I hope to use, today or tomorrow and see what they say. I want to ask about buffing out or that paint blender stuff that was posted on page 1.

Heck, I live in Missouri, nothing to see or do here.

I went by the body shop the dealer uses and that the insurance guy knows. Also the one I chose from reputation and having used several years ago on another car.

They looked at it and took a liquid and rag and ran it along the scratch. It made the front of the front passenger door and bit on front fender basically disappear. The liquid was a paint thinner. On the rest of the scratch it pretty much stayed. The disappearing was not thru the clear coat, the other part is through the clear coat but not down to metal.

For now I'm leaving it as you have to be pretty close to see it, and I need the car all the time, and don't see painting the side of the car for it at this time.

Another learning experience.

Go find that 3M brand rubbing compound and use a soft cloth with just a little bit and rub it. All the parts that disappeared with the thinner will be gone for good and the others will be less noticeable. Don't get any other brand, I've tried most and they don't work like 3m does. I know autozone carries it in a small bottle and I get a big bottle through Orielly.

Back