Leaking faucet handle top

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgy

Reaction score
I have a dual handle Delta Classic bathroom faucet. I don't know the model #. The cold handle leaks out of the base right above the chrome ring. Weird part is that when it leaks out of the cold handle side, it is when the HOT handle is turned open, not when the cold handle is opened. The handle/valve has two lines. One for the incoming water and the other to allow the water to travel to the main center spout. I took the cold handle valve out of the sink which was the only way I could evaluate it. I thought maybe there would be a cartridge that I could replace as I have heard/seen that some faucets have a cartridge that can be replaced. I know my tub faucet is set up that way. I don't think there is from what I am looking at but I could be wrong. I don't see any removable parts. The chrome ring (not sure what you call it- see pics) that is threaded can be adjusted but only if I have the entire unit removed from sink as I have done. as far as I can tell. What I am hoping the problem is only that the ring needs to be tightened. When I took the unit out of the sink, I noticed the ring was loose or at least I could turn it with my fingers fairly easy. Is there a way to get to the valve inside the handle where maybe it is potentially leaking? I don't see any removable parts. The actual handle knob that you hold to turn open/closed does unscrew but nothing else is removable. (There isn't any water leaking underneath counter top. All dry).

Disregard the thread tape. I put that on previously during this evaluation and then realized it is not needed.

Thanks for any help you can provide. We are hoping we don't have to replace the entire handle assembly or rather the entire faucet as it was expensive enough the first time.

Attachments

• Faucet Cold.jpg
    Faucet Cold.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Faucet ring adjust.jpg
    Faucet ring adjust.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 7
  • Bathroom faucet Delta - Copy.jpg
    Bathroom faucet Delta - Copy.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Faucet - Copy.jpg
    Faucet - Copy.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Faucet lines - Copy.jpg
    Faucet lines - Copy.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Faucet under cabinet - Copy.jpg
    Faucet under cabinet - Copy.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5
Update. So low and behold I found an allen wrench in a bag in my file cabinet marked faucet. I was able to remove the threaded stud that the handle screwed onto. Now I can remove the handle housing. Do you think that by replacing, if possible, the Stem unit, that would fix my problem? Earlier I called that a cartridge so I am sure my terminology is wrong.

Attachments

• Faucet bare.jpg
    Faucet bare.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Faucet housing.jpg
    Faucet housing.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Set screw handle.jpg
    Set screw handle.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
Look on the rear of the handle, there is probably a small allen head set screw which will allow you to remove the handle.

That's the cartridge and it will fix the problem.

I purchased a couple cartridges at the hardware store. I took the bad one with me to match up. Their is a slight difference in the Stops so I am not able to get the faucet to stop in a 1/4 turn. It turns 1/2 turn before it will stop regardless of where I set the stem location. My original Stem has a replaceable Stop that I can place where needed. Maybe there is a different version Stem I can find. I bought Delta RP1740. I did watch a video as well and it suggested to replace the gasket and spring that are on the threaded base where the two lines come in. The gasket and spring appear to be in good condition and the RP1740 didn't come with a gasket and spring.

Also, is there another connector clamp that I can get or an easier way to fasten the quick connect hose under the counter? I am struggling to get (see pic) the clamp to stay in place. The metal retaining wire I think is out of round from removing it. Had I known more I would of never taken it off as that was unnecessary as I learned later. My bad. Would a metal tubing clamp (the type where you turn the screw and it tightens down) work or even a plastic tie to hold existing plastic clamp in place?

Attachments

• hose connector.jpg
    hose connector.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
Back