Leaky Shower Now What Do I Do!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1MadMommy

Reaction score
I’m a first time home buyer of a two-story house with 4 people taking a shower twice a day.

Problem- I just bought this house 3 months ago and I already have a leak. Bathroom has a stall shower that leaks sometimes to 1st floor and has damaged the ceiling. Called plumber but he found nothing. Leaked again and left water running plumber still found no source and removed nice chunk of ceiling. Called another plumber and he said it was the shower pan. Had 3 estimates and decided I would redo the bathroom since they can't match my wonderful tile. It's been a month now since all this and ready to move forward with bathroom remodel. BIG PROBLEM.........It hasn't leaked again since last shower pan test. Is it the pan? Shouldn't it still leak if it was? Still don't know what the problem is or was or if I should just do the remodel. Any suggestions before I gut out my wonderful bathroom. HELP PLEASE!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The biggest issue with a walk out shower, is the door getting wet and dripping all over the floor at the tub and tile seam.
Looks like the plumber did not take a shower and get water all over the place inside...or they would have found the issue.:D

This is my guess, but it could also be a combination of the two, anytime I test a pan, I block the drain and let the water fill up to the top of the pan, just like in real life when folks are standing on the drain.

Let us know what you find.

Any signs of moldy or damp wood or anything under the shower from the ceiling below ? That will usually give you some idea of where the leak was. Sometimes small leaks can only be seen by the damage it's done over time. Don't know what to tell you, can't hurt to just replace it & see what you find. It's only money & time.... hahaha
Sorry... good luck!

Back