Light Switch Wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not 100% positive i do. I kept it the same way as my old switch was wired. If its wired correctly would i have power on both cause i tested it with my tester and both had power to them.

Im not 100% positive i do. I kept it the same way as my old switch was wired. If its wired correctly would i have power on both cause i tested it with my tester and both had power to them.

Ya that's not the point. Power goes thru the switch so if it is turn on the will both have power.
There is nothing to test here. The two black wire each have there own place and them must go in the correct spot.
On the back of the switch it will say line beside one screw and which you need to have the power to.
The other screw will be marked load the black wire from the light goes to it.

The white wire will go the screw marked common.

The forth screw came with a warning sticker on and should not be used.
I suspect that three screws are brass coloured and one is silver coloured and that would be the common screw.
They may have made there wire look silver to help guide you to put it to the silver screw, if you scrape it you may find that it is copper after all.

You need eight inches of a single 14 ga copper wire with a white cover on it. Are you sure they gave you al. or is it tinned with solder, scratch it with a knife and see if it is copper inside.

It is copper covered in solder. So im safe using that?

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Yes it is safe, as long as there is a tight connection with the wire nut. Always give a tug test to make sure. If you can't get it tight, cut the wire back to the beginning of the solder and strip it.

I got it connected and the switch works now. Thank you all for all your help. Now another question. I was wanting to add the same switch to my outdoor flood light. I pulled the switch out and all it has is a single white cable and a single black cable. That's all in the entire box. Why is there only 2 cables. Thanks.

The power cable goes to the light first and all you have is a switch leg. I have another look at that.
Glad you got that one, It's so simple once you get it. :)

I got it connected and the switch works now. Thank you all for all your help. Now another question. I was wanting to add the same switch to my outdoor flood light. I pulled the switch out and all it has is a single white cable and a single black cable. That's all in the entire box. Why is there only 2 cables. Thanks.

As is it simply is not going to work, The only option would be to remove that 2 wire and replace the wire with a three wire. Are you into taking walls apart.

Perhaps they have something different that would to the light instead of the switch. :mad:

Definetly not tearing down walls. I got the other one working so im taking the win and leaving it alone.

I'm betting that you mean there are two wires in a single jacket. This is the most basic switch setup you can have. Get a basic single pole switch and it is as easy as it gets.
http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/electrical/switches-receptacles/replacing-single-pole-switch/

Nowadays most younger electricians always try to bring the feed to the switch banks, so there is a neutral present there. It is simpler to troubleshoot, and it is better for purposes such as the newer electronic switches, which do call out a neutral. The old school electricians liked to get creative to save on wire by running 3-wire to share a neutral or send feeds to the lights with a 2-wire to the switch. This was fine 10-15 years ago, but with the code requiring arc fault protection throughout the house now, there has to be a neutral everywhere now, and not shared either.

Nowadays most younger electricians always try to bring the feed to the switch banks, so there is a neutral present there. It is simpler to troubleshoot, and it is better for purposes such as the newer electronic switches, which do call out a neutral. The old school electricians liked to get creative to save on wire by running 3-wire to share a neutral or send feeds to the lights with a 2-wire to the switch. This was fine 10-15 years ago, but with the code requiring arc fault protection throughout the house now, there has to be a neutral everywhere now, and not shared either.

So are you saying that code now disallows power originating at the light? Also are multi wire branch circuits with a shared neutral also now disallowed?

I was following this thread a little and I also at first missed that this switch was a special device that could be remotely operated. When I figured out what it was I just assumed it wasn’t that it needed a neutral so much to work but that it needed its own source of power to keep it active and waiting to be turned on. The attachment is to small for me to really read all of what it says.

Code does not disallow power originating at the fixture. It just requires a neutral at the light switch. That means you need to bring three wires down to the switch instead of just two previously used for switch loops.

Code does not disallow power originating at the fixture. It just requires a neutral at the light switch. That means you need to bring three wires down to the switch instead of just two previously used for switch loops.

What do you connect the neutral wire to?

If it is not needed then you just cap it off for possible future use.

Back