Lights not working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terryburton33

Reaction score
I have four different lights in my house the just stoped working today for no reason two in the master bathroom and two in the kitchen changed the bulbs still nothing checked the breaker it's good there is a power out let that is on the same panel as the switch in the bathroom and the outlet still works but no lights... please help

Terry - would be very odd that all the bulbs blu out at once. Please try resetting the breaker for this circuit - but sure you push it hard to off and then back to on. It may take a bit of pressure. You need to push it to the "off" position first before switching back to "on".

If the GFCI needed to be reset the GFCI itself would not be working not just the lights connected to it. Would not matter if the lights were connected to the load or line side of the GFCI.

How old is the house?

Have you established if the light circuit is actually getting power?

Possible causes in no particular order:

1. Bad Breaker
2. GFI tripped
3. Bad connection on outlet or switch that feeds power to the lights. (most likely if breaker is good and GFI is not the issue)
4. Bad socket on fixture
5. Bad light bulb (check bulb in a lamp to make sure it works)

Last edited:
I have four different lights in my house the just stoped working today for no reason two in the master bathroom and two in the kitchen changed the bulbs still nothing checked the breaker it's good there is a power out let that is on the same panel as the switch in the bathroom and the outlet still works but no lights... please help
IF you know which lights and outlets are on which circuit breaker, your way ahead of the game.
Once you determine what's on the breaker, start testing your way from breaker to load points within the home. Once you find a dead load point (outlet, light, appliance, etc...) you will have isolated the problem to the current or previous circuit junction (switch, outlet, j-box, etc...).
You typically, shouldn't find outlets and lights on the same circuit breaker, sounds like someone may have added on something. For a quick first check, see if you have power leading up to the switches for the lights.

I have checked the breakers none are flipped and there are is no gfci
Did you push the breaker to the fully off position as afjes suggested? Breakers can trip and still look like they are on. You need to reset them by pushing it fully to the off position then back on. Just reiterating in case you hadn't done that.

Terry:
I have checked the breakers none are flipped and there are is no gfci
You are going to have to give us a bit more information to go by. What else have you tried since posting this?

Please try this to be sure. Again, when breakers trip they may not even look as though they have tripped. Besides making sure you use pressure to flip it to the off position and then back on try the "wiggle test". Breakers have little wiggle room when you gently move the handle back and forth compared to a breaker that has tripped. A breaker that has tripped will have much more wiggle room when you gently move the handle back and forth.

Also you say there are no GFCIs. I'm am starting to believe that a GFCI may be responsible for this issue. Reasoning is because this circuit has affected the bathroom and kitchen where GFCI protection is required. Did you actually try looking for all GFCI receptacles and checking to see if any have tripped even if the GFCI is not in the kitchen or bathroom. A GFCI can protect a receptacle in a totally different room than where the GFCI is. I would highly suggest that you look for every GFCI receptacle in your house, even if there is one in the basement of outside around you house, in your garage burried behind boxes or cabinets. I have found GFCIs on calls that the home owner did not even know they had or a GFCI right next to the breaker panel would kill receptacles outside the house, in the bathroom and kitchen. Don't just assume a GFCI is not the culprit. On every GFCI you find press the reset button firmly. If you hear a click then that GFCI had tripped. If the GFCI has a little light on it do not go by that light to see if it has tripped. Still try the reset button. Light on GFCIs can mean different things depending on the manufacturer. So don't use the lights as a guide as to whether the gFCI is tripped or not.

If not the GFCI do you have a meter.. Are you comfortable in taking the face cover off of the breaker panel if further troubleshooting is needed after you check for GFCIs.

I can protect a receptacle in a totally different room than where the GFCI is.
Good point. I have a GFCI in a half bath that feeds/ protects two outdoor outlets that are 40' away. Took me a while to figure that one out one day when the outdoor receptacle quit working. I still can't figure out why they wired it like that.

Hi, so you only have 4 devices that are not working? sounds more like an open splice, bad connection.

About 9 days since we heard back from the OP and OP has not offered any further information to date since Feb 25th. I can't share any more help other than what I have already until more information is given and results of our suggestions are replied back to us so we know where to go next with the troubleshooting.

Back