Mdf wood

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Kelseylately226

Reaction score
We had bought a cheap black Walmart desk and wanted to paint it white after a while. My boyfriend said we had to sand it lightly to scuff the surface before we prime which we did.

I'm just now nervous because mdf is dangerous (?) and now we created some tiny particles that flew around in the air (had fan on) and landed in the carpet/ on our books. We did not use a machine just lightly scuffed surface with sand paper that I believe was 60.

Should I be concerned for our health? What to do now?

Snoonyb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
1st, you shouldn't use 60grit for scuffing. 100 for 120 would suffice, and the particulate matter, is likely just paint dust, and contains "0" formaldehyde.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

That amount of dust MDF or paint will be of no health risk.

The world is full of dust and our bodies know how to deal with a great deal of dust before it becomes a problem. In today’s world no one is more than a few feet away from a mask that is questionable for filtering out virus but would work great for keeping airborne dust out of your lungs. Put one on when sanding and do your sanding outside or in the garage or with windows open and ventilation moving the air.

You didn’t mention the paint fumes and the mess of painting another good reason to be outside or in a garage or such.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I can't begin to count how many times mdf has been cut with a saw and had great amount of dust become airborne. If you did this for employment, I'd say get a fine particle breathing mask, the little amount you created, I'd be more worried about a locusts invasion. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts