Minimum wage increase

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One by one the news reports of large companies laying off and closing down due to wage increases

If your a large company and only paying minimum wage and the increase is forcing you out of business then no big loss cause nobody can live on minimun wage and your profits stayed at the top with the CEO.

Not necessarily. I know plenty of smaller companies that are struggling as well because of this. And if they are not it is only because they raised prices and have the consumer paying the wage hike. Take a pizza joint with 8 employees at 10 bucks an hour, the owner barely making wages himself. Now after the hike he either has to let go three employees and over work the rest or raise prices. Now just because a company has built itself to 100 employees or more does not mean the owner or CEO is getting rich. I know plenty of owners of these company just making a paycheck like an employee. I do agree that yes some companies are doing great and the CEO is taking a big chunk while not sharing the wealth but do you think he will pay a wage hike out of his profits or just raise his prices like all his competition did?

It's the same principle as trying to tax a corporation higher. It just raises prices for everyone. When my material prices go up so do my bids, it's all inflation one way or another.

Back to raised wages, now rent, home values and every other commodity has gone up as well, in reality we didn't raise wages we just raised inflation and lowered wages for everyone else in the work force. Do you agree?

3 minutes and 39 seconds of pure logic

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk[/ame]

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”
― Emma Lazarus

These are the people that took the jobs that (Americans wouldn't do)
They were put to work in fire trap buildings, in ditches, building railroads, anywhere cheap labour was needed.
They were hated, everyone of them because Americans would have done the work if they were paid a living wage.
Now you hate Mexicans for the same reason, what a surprise.

Make America Great Again.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
― Emma Lazarus

These are the people that took the jobs that (Americans wouldn't do)
They were put to work in fire trap buildings, in ditches, building railroads, anywhere cheap labour was needed.
They were hated, everyone of them because Americans would have done the work if they were paid a living wage.
Now you hate Mexicans for the same reason, what a surprise.

Make America Great Again.

I don't hate Mexicans or any other person. Some of my best employees are Mexican and not doing any job I wouldn't do or have done. They are not cheap labor as any and almost all mexicans in California legal or not are requesting top pay just like any other nationality. I actually pay them more than white people that have worked for me because they were raised with a better work ethic.

What I do hate is Criminals and Criminal Illegal Mexicans because they are held to a different law then US born people. They can have five felonies and been in and out of jail their whole lives and they still walk the streets when a US born person would have been locked up for a very long time after their second or third felony and would not be on the streets to commit another. If we deported Criminal illegals then they wouldn't be here to commit those crimes but instead we feel bad for them and let them live in a sanctuary city until they kill someone then we feed and house them for the rest of their lives. I can guarantee that most all conservatives don't hate foreigners in any way and can even tolerate illegal aliens that are here to work and be a productive member of society but they are against Illegal criminals coming in and the Left seems to keep trying to group the conservatives as being racist or hating Mexicans because they hate criminals. I am not sure where you got that we hate Mexicans from but you are very wrong. I/we feel the same way of the Illegal Chinese and all others crossing our borders illegally to commit crimes or bring drugs to our youth. I find it odd that you don't agree!

And don't forget there is not a single country out there that has open borders to any and all that want to come live there. There is always a process and paperwork even from Mexico to here.

Neal, you are completely wrong about the immigrant workers during the period of
1800's thru 1920
http://www.manythings.org/voa/history/135.html

the country was booming and immigrants and farm boys [Americans] worked side by side at the same pay.

TRUE..that UNSKILLED workers were paid a low wage
untrue that skilled workers were paid a low wage

and that is how it should b

I added the rest of the lines Neal left off. (First Draft)

Give me your tired, your poor,
Come in the front door and say hi I’m here.
Tell us who you are and why you came here.
Please fill out a few papers and allow us to give you temporary documentation.
Please read and understand our laws and obey them.
Please fill out these forms applying for citizenship.
Understand your turn will come and you must wait your turn.
Take our classes and learn what it means to be a citizen here.
Go to our court house and swear an oath and become a citizen.
Now you are an American you can be anything you want here work hard pay taxes and vote.

When I said you hate, I didn't mean you or even most people hate, but listen to the way they are talked about in the Media.
Ask a Mexican if they feel hated, ask them why they protested Trump. You sure stood up for your friends.

Products like drugs go where the market is, talk to your Doctors about getting people hooked on drugs they can't afford to buy.

Do you think that if you got all the drug dealers out of the country there would be no drugs, give me a break.

And don't forget there is not a single country out there that has open borders to any and all that want to come live there. There is always a process and paperwork even from Mexico to here.

Simple solve.
Make it easy for an employer to check the paper work and jail anyone who highers some one that does not have that paper work.
Give them more time if they paid less than the min. wage.
Next.

When I said you hate, I didn't mean you or even most people hate, but listen to the way they are talked about in the Media.
Ask a Mexican if they feel hated, ask them why they protested Trump. You sure stood up for your friends.

Products like drugs go where the market is, talk to your Doctors about getting people hooked on drugs they can't afford to buy.

Do you think that if you got all the drug dealers out of the country there would be no drugs, give me a break.

Every hard working Mexican I know voted Trump. If you look at the Mexican culture you will see that they live a more Conservative life than most conservatives.

No, Drugs will never fully be gone but should we just give up and invite them in or keep fighting? I have a good buddy that doesn't vote because "his vote doesn't matter anyway" If we all had that attitude you have we would end up in a horrible place. Just because we will never rid this country of Drugs, Illegals, poverty and crime doesn't mean we should give up and let it run free does it?

Simple solve.
Make it easy for an employer to check the paper work and jail anyone who highers some one that does not have that paper work.
Give them more time if they paid less than the min. wage.
Next.

That would be nice and I heard they were trying to do something like that. But like I said I don't know of any person illegal or not getting paid less than minimum wage here in California and I am not secluded in some dream, I am smack dab in the middle of all this illegal hiring stuff working construction. It's hard finding legal Mexicans in my business. For me, no papers = no work, I do government work so that would never fly.

first, you must make the distinction between illegal and legal.

legal immigrants are not ''hated'' they are welcome and needed here
illegal's are hated and not wanted here.

when you get those 2 distinctions figured out, then you can understand

your suggestion to vet workers and jail employers is a good suggestion, one that is being kicked around on the hill
i think it will be called E-Verify
that and a wall to keep those with wondering feet from wondering the wrong way is a very good start

I wonder every time the minimum wage debate comes up. why liberals want illegals to do there work cheaply.
and at the same time, want minimum wage to increase.

boggles my mind.

first, you must make the distinction between illegal and legal.

legal immigrants are not ''hated'' they are welcome and needed here
illegal's are hated and not wanted here.

when you get those 2 distinctions figured out, then you can understand

your suggestion to vet workers and jail employers is a good suggestion, one that is being kicked around on the hill
i think it will be called E-Verify
that and a wall to keep those with wondering feet from wondering the wrong way is a very good start

I wonder every time the minimum wage debate comes up. why liberals want illegals to do there work cheaply.
and at the same time, want minimum wage to increase.

boggles my mind.

These Liberals are also the same ones that come apply to work in my office wanting 50k+ a year to start with absolutely no experience and a degree in the arts. To me they are worth minimum wage and once they prove they know what they are doing I bump them up.

I think people forget that a living wage is not a house in the suburbs with cable TV, internet and a cell phone and a new car or two in the driveway. When I was growing up a living wage was a shared apartment and a bus pass or crappy old car I had to work on, no cable TV, no internet and a land line phone for 7 bucks a month. I didn't eat out and I lived just fine. If I wanted to live on my own I got a studio or other small rental. I did it on 4 bucks an hour and didn't complain. When I wanted more money I got a second job and worked even harder. It's really not that hard to figure out unless you are lazy.

I think people forget that a living wage is not a house in the suburbs with cable TV, internet and a cell phone and a new car or two in the driveway. When I was growing up a living wage was a shared apartment and a bus pass or crappy old car I had to work on, no cable TV, no internet and a land line phone for 7 bucks a month. I didn't eat out and I lived just fine. If I wanted to live on my own I got a studio or other small rental. I did it on 4 bucks an hour and didn't complain. When I wanted more money I got a second job and worked even harder. It's really not that hard to figure out unless you are lazy.

Most of the people looking for that raise are in the big blue cities.
How about you find an apartment you could live in on min wage in NY
I do agree that min. wage should be local thing.
Seattle is doing fine after they raised theirs.

I would move away from NY city to a place I could afford. Not everyone has the money to live waterfront either.

I live in the desert, not because I enjoy it here but because I can afford to live a nice life here. Same reason I'm going to idaho, it's cheaper and I don't have to work so hard.

Latest posts

Back