Modest newbie 20x20ish

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cderalow

Reaction score
So 4 years after agreeing to rent my inlaws home, my wife has finally agreed to let me start turning the garage into an organized mancave. It took 3 kids and getting a minivan to get there, but I no longer have to fight her on spending time organizing it (she was finally just as frustrated by the mess as I was).

When we moved in, we had bought 4 for the Costco industrial style shelves (48"x20"), which we were using primarily to just get junk off the floor.

Current plans, are to just organize what's there, throw away what isn't needed, and make it so we can open the doors on the two cars.

Here's some mild progress. Everything is being done through the use of our existing shelves, and some new Elfa wall track/hooks from the Containerstore.

Some pictures:
The corner I've claimed for tools, you can see my daughters' tricycles hanging above
photo1.jpg

Ladder wall, small parts storage, hanging tool bags
photo3.jpg

Front corner, shelf deconstruction in process so I can open one of the rear doors on our sedan, will be the location for hanging our strollers. shelf next to the door will house boxes, chemicals (oils, cleaners etc) and my jack/jackstands. Also houses stuff for my wife's Alumnae club.
photo4.jpg

The opposite side is in complete disarray, but will likely have outdoor garden tools hanging, the existing overhead cabinet and sports stuff all hanging on the wall.

I hope to eliminate another tall shelf from the corner opposite my tools.

Future plans:

Epoxy floor
Insulate the exterior walls (they're circa 1970 and have minimal insulation)
Add electrical outlets (currently one next to my tools and one under ladders)
Add lighting in the form of (5) 4' strip fixtures
New garage door/high lift with jackshaft opener
Replace exterior window

Great start! We had to back one car in (passenger side close to wall/shelf) and nose the other in to give a shared space to swing the driver's doors for a while. Did most of the passenger loading in the driveway. Keep at it, you'll manage.

Back