my desktop is ruined

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamsterbaby

Reaction score
I bought a wooden desk that is painted white. I used a plastic desk protector on the desktop for a couple months. When I took the deck protector off the desk, the paint on the desktop has a 'film' over it and it is 'sticky'.:eek: I can scrape the 'sticky film' off with my fingernail and leave a groove in the paint. Cleaners won't take the 'film' off. What is wrong with the paint and how can I restore the white desktop?

Hi Tamsterbaby,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only thing you can do is strip off the paint and repaint it. Or put the so-called protector back over it. :eek:

Welcome Tamster Baby:
Janie and I have a Tammy too. She is about 10 years older but has the same interests.
Your desk must have been painted with latex enamel and has suffered a severe case of 'blocking and plating' which means the surface didn't have air flow over it and it became soft, making it stick to whatever is laid on it.
Tool Guy is correct in his observation; it needs to be stripped and repainted. Only, this time, use an oil based paint to eleminate the problem.
Glenn

Thank you for your quick reply toolguy and thank you for the explanation glennjanie. It is a bummer!!

Latest posts

Back