My Honda Ridgeline pickup truck

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by zannej, Jan 26, 2016.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 24, 2016 #21

zannej

zannej

zannej

So, after I bought my truck, Honda expanded the list of vehicles affected by the deadly airbag defect. I checked my vin and it wasn't on the list, but I just checked it again and it *is* on the list. Apparently ALL of the Ridgelines between certain years are affected.

But they won't have a remedy until summer and even then, I don't know how long it will be before I could get it fixed. Honda is saying people should not drive their vehicles until it's fixed. It's my only vehicle though.

It was a Ford dealership that sold the truck to me, so I doubt they would have the parts or inclination to replace the airbag. Someone in my state was already killed by one of the defective airbags and another was permanently scarred and lost an eye.

I'm seriously considering having the driver airbag disabled to avoid chance of shrapnel flying out.

Other people were going on about how dangerous that is. Part of me thinks that if I've survived this long without airbag deployment, it isn't likely I'll have to worry about it. But, I have crap luck...

It's only a matter of pulling a relay switch to temporarily disable the airbag.

What do you guys think?

2. Feb 26, 2016 #22

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Keep in mind, not all air bags blow out shrapnel, just a few. Airbags save thousands of people daily, so I would certainly leave it with the hope of never needing it rather than disconnecting it, because that would certainly kill you. Most of the hooplah about recalls/replacements/lawsuits is being driven by lawyers seeking a huge payday.

3. Feb 28, 2016 #23

zannej

zannej

zannej

Yeah. I decided to leave it. Especially since it's mostly the older models that seem to be having the problem.

I was thinking of going to buy a CR-V on Monday, but the dealership won't give me a straight answer on what methods of payment are accepted and they want to ask me all sorts of questions rather than just answer so I told them that I wasn't going to deal with them if they couldn't answer a simple question.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #24

zannej

zannej

zannej

I wonder if the running boards from a 2002 Honda Pilot would fit. I saw perfectly good running boards on a wrecked Pilot at the U-Pull-It. There were no ridgelines on the lot.

Also, the place where I purchased Reggie has a 43 acre lot. I thought it was about as big as my yard, but that is over 10 acres larger than mine.

5. Mar 1, 2016 #25
    zannej likes this.
  6. Mar 2, 2016 #26

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hell, I ain't even a moderator on House Repair Talk, but I know a few who are Admins there.....;)

7. Mar 2, 2016 #27

Chris

Chris

Chris

Administrator Supporting Member

I'm not an admin there. I suck at being an admin. I can moderate all day but don't make me think.

8. Mar 2, 2016 #28

zannej

zannej

zannej

heh. Yeah. I'm a member on the ridgelineownersclub forum. I joined as soon as I got the truck. People just aren't quite as responsive sometimes though. Maybe because I'm a newbie there.

9. Mar 12, 2016 #29

zannej

zannej

zannej

It's been raining and the road has been pretty nasty. I walked out of the Chinese place and went to get in my truck and saw this:
    [​IMG]

10. Mar 12, 2016 #30
    Where's the penis pic?

11. Mar 12, 2016 #31

zannej

zannej

zannej

LOL. Washed it off. I should have taken a pic though.

12. Jun 26, 2016 #32

zannej

zannej

zannej

Saw this on my windshield wiper this morning. I'll have to wait and upload the video later. It was slowly flapping it's wings to attract a mate.
    [​IMG]

Also, it rained extremely hard on the way up to Texas Roadhouse-- so hard that almost every other driver was pulling off to the side of the road and parking to wait it out. I had to slow to about 35mph, but I still had just enough visibility to keep going.

I'm very glad to have the use of Reggie back.

13. Sep 12, 2018 #33

zannej

zannej

zannej

Getting TPMS error. Pretty sure it means the tire pressure sensor needs a new battery (from everything I've read about it). Asked Honda dealership to put the new battery in. They said they would have to do a diagnostic for $120. Got another airbag recall that I need to take care of.
    Last week the error message saying "Check emissions system" popped and the computer diagnostic said it was some solenoid valve for the fuel or something. Ordered the new part, went to pick it up in the package from the post office & the error message went away. I'll store it for later use in case it becomes necessary. I've got 5hrs of driving ahead of me on the trip to Shreveport tomorrow (well, later today-- brain won't let me sleep because I have to get up early).