Nails pulling out of drywall

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by Korruptor, May 4, 2007.

1. May 4, 2007 #1

Korruptor

Korruptor

Korruptor

Hey guys, First post here. I was referred by another member. My girlfirned bought a new house in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada and I'm fixing the builders screw ups, and building new things and stuff (It's nice to have a basement!).

The house is about 8 months old and just went through its first winter. I'm going to paint this weekend but a couple nails are coming out of the drywall so I want to fix that first.

Should I remove the nails carefully and put a drywall screw in its place? The nails haven't broken through the current paint yet but I can see the heads of the nails bulging under the paint.

2. May 4, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Yes, replace the nails with screws. I didn't know anyone was still using nails in drywall; just a little vibration will push them back out. Screws are the only way to go when fastening drywall (gypsum wallboard).
    Glenn

3. May 4, 2007 #3

Korruptor

Korruptor

Korruptor

The builder is selling their houses cheaper than anyone in the region (that I'm aware of) so I guess if there's a way for them to save some money they do it... Assuming nails cost less.

thanks for the reply!

Mark

4. May 4, 2007 #4

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Yeah, they are cheaper and I'll bet they are not even serated nails (just have a smooth finish).
    Glenn

5. May 6, 2007 #5

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Daryl in Nanoose

Just to add a little info here, Use a nail set and set the nail pops in and then put a screw in about 1 inch away.