Need help framing a wall in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
I need to put a wall in my basement for a bathroom but have many obstacles to overcome. It has to go in this spot because I already have the shower pan in (curb less) and the plumbing is behind that wall too.
Image 1 is where it is going, image 2 and 3 show the obstacles and if you look closely you can see the red lines of my laser level where the wall goes with framing on the backside of the line.

The wall is parallel with the ceiling joists but offset so was planning on putting 2x4 nailers across them every 24" but can't in about half of the area to the left because of the ducting. I need to build a soffit around the vent pipes anyway because they will not go up closer to the ceiling but not sure how to attach it all above which is why I'm here!

Not sure how to describe but should I build the framing around the pipes attaching the inner part where the soffit would be and then over to the wall framing and that would suffice? I have to build soffits elsewhere and was going to use a method with 1/2" osb and 2x2's, a 6" drop but those are simple comparatively.

Please let me know if I am not explaining correctly and thanks for your time.
framing1_4d2c37673e3a991c022c8c1629fa561ffb1014bb.jpg

framing2_ee65099250718acf3d19959b24f0508566b6a3c6.jpg

framing3_e8b9ea1eb3fee19f2c641f6d3903884148efbf6c.jpg

I would frame out the soffit section where your wall goes first, and use 2x4s in that section so it's nice and stiff. Then, attach the top of your wall to the soffit, with the wall being however high it needs to be to intersect with the bottom of the soffit. The key is that you'll want your soffit structure to be very stiff in that area so that the wall is firmly secured at the top.

Thanks, I had figured it out yesterday afternoon exactly as you described! Great minds think alike!

Back