Need help with parts for gas grass trimmer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afjes_2016

Established Member
Reaction score
Troy Bilt Gas Grass Trimmer
Model No. 41CDZ32C766
TB32 EC

This grass trimmer is about 5 years old. I loaned it to someone and it was returned in need of repair. It seems the person tried starting it and was pulling on the handle to crank the engine so much that it gave way. Meaning when I pull on the handle/rope to start it I get no resistance but just some clicking and clanking. I have to use the adapter on my hand drill to start the trimmer each time. Needless to say it is not convenient when out in the field using the trimmer carrying the drill with me.

I just got off chat session with Troy and they gave me the parts explosion for this trimmer. Unfortunately I know little to nothing about small engine repair. Here is the link to the parts list they gave me. If it does not show up then try this link. Then click on the pdf for Manual Number: "GDE:IPL:41CDZ32C766:15" Form Number "769-10180". I don't know what parts I need to order. I probably won't order them from Troy because of their prices but will cross reference the part numbers to another site for better pricing. Of course if the price of the parts are almost the same as buying a new trimmer then I may do that, but just need to know what parts I have to buy first.

I normally am on the electrical forum of this site giving electrical advise. This time I need advise on something I know nothing about.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Normally there is a band spring wound up with the pull cord. When you pull out the spring winds tighter and that brings the cord back. Sounds like that is working correctly as you didn’t mention the rope hanging out. The hub on that thing is kind of a one way sprag clutch. That is what is broke. When you pull it is supposed to grab the crank and turn it and once you release the pull it releases the clutch. There are finger in there that do this and they break off or the teeth they hook into wear off.

Take it apart and you will see how it works and what is broke pretty quick.

Hey Bud
Yes, the cord recoils back into the trimmer properly. It is just that when I pull on it there is very little resistance. I was hoping I knew what parts to order before taking it apart so it does not sit around apart waiting on the parts to arrive.

Any idea when looking at the parts explosion diagram as to what part/s you think it may be so when I take it apart it will give me a clue as to what to maybe look for?

Thanks

Looks like you need to get the full starter assembly. It’s not clear if the pull start and required clutch mechanism are included with item number “25” Part number “2075306522” or if that will only get you the plastic housing and screws to attach it. You’ll need to look into that before you make the purchase.

Some setups use a one way bearing to catch the shaft when you pull the rip cord while others use a clutch with claws to engage the starter when you pull. Either method, it is that clutch on the pull start that sounds like it has failed. Not to confuse with the item labeled as “clutch” though because that is a centrifugal clutch that engages the engine and drive shaft together. It has two heavy springs connecting two opposing clutch shoes and they expand out when the engine spins faster to engage with the inside of a bell housing that is positioned over top of it. That bell housing connects to the shaft and spins the string.... all of this though is irrelevant to the starter issue at hand.

Thanks so much for the advice and guidance so far, it is very helpful.
I am wondering now if it is worth the effort to even attempt to fix it. I guess I have to somewhat figure the costs of the anticipated parts I would need and then determine if I would be better off just buying a new one for a bit more money and keeping this one as a stand-by.

Can you buy the same one so you can use the old one for parts?

How much is it worth new?

5 years probably isn’t a lot of run hours if it’s only been used around your house.

Back