Need to make some sort of height-adjustable jig to make workbench level

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a workbench on my patio that's "fairly" level, but not perfect since the patio itself slopes away from the house and the w/b itself was made from an old pine desk and a solid door as the top. From time to time a project requires that the top be "level-er". I have a large board that's thick and flat. What I want is to put some sort of height-adjustable legs on the 4 corners of the workbench top, put the board on top of those legs and then adjust each of them ever so slightly to make sure the board is truly horizontal in both directions (using a level to check for that, of course). Even if the top warps slightly between my projects I would be able to adjust the legs every time to compensate for that.

I search HDepot and Lowes but could not find anything that would work as those height-adjustable legs. Since I am not sure if there is a name for those I might have searched in the wrong place (or in the wrong store). Would you point me in the right direction (assuming such legs even exist)? Thanks.

P.S. I realize that the board might itself warp slightly especially if used outdoors. I hope to compensate for this too.

You didn't talk about weight and how big you hammer is that you beat on things. What are the legs and how big are they.
I have drilled a bigger hole that you can hammer a nut in that will not turn and then drill a smaller hole to allow a bolt to go up inside.
With one nut in the leg and another on the bolt. you adjust the bolt to height and lock it there by tightening the second nut to the first.

You didn't talk about weight and how big you hammer is that you beat on things. What are the legs and how big are they.
I have drilled a bigger hole that you can hammer a nut in that will not turn and then drill a smaller hole to allow a bolt to go up inside.
With one nut in the leg and another on the bolt. you adjust the bolt to height and lock it there by tightening the second nut to the first.

The projects I had in mind wouldn't require me to beat on anything but I would need stability. Example: filling a large crack in a wooden board with epoxy. Also I was not thinking about this as a permanent contraption on top of my workbench, rather something I would put on and take off as needed.

One thing I may need even if I don't plan on doing anything like hammering is a leveling foot in the middle of the board to prevent it from sagging.

So I think something along the lines of what @Snoonyb pointed to should work for me but I am still figuring out details.

I have a workbench on my patio that's "fairly" level, but not perfect since the patio itself slopes away from the house and the w/b itself was made from an old pine desk and a solid door as the top. From time to time a project requires that the top be "level-er". I have a large board that's thick and flat. What I want is to put some sort of height-adjustable legs on the 4 corners of the workbench top, put the board on top of those legs and then adjust each of them ever so slightly to make sure the board is truly horizontal in both directions (using a level to check for that, of course). Even if the top warps slightly between my projects I would be able to adjust the legs every time to compensate for that.

I search HDepot and Lowes but could not find anything that would work as those height-adjustable legs. Since I am not sure if there is a name for those I might have searched in the wrong place (or in the wrong store). Would you point me in the right direction (assuming such legs even exist)? Thanks.

P.S. I realize that the board might itself warp slightly especially if used outdoors. I hope to compensate for this too.
How about T-nuts and hex head screws?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...nc-Plated-Tee-Nut-4-per-Pack-802301/204274194

Back