Neighbor's house emitting a beeping noise?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
There's this one house in my neighborhood, when I walk past it, I hear these incredibly high-pitched beeps. Almost sounds like it's coming from inside my own head, except I only ever hear it walking past this one house. Four beeps, then a pause, then four more, then again a few more times, each time quieter than before, like an echo. I don't know if it gets quieter because I'm walking constantly away from the source or if it's because that's how it's programmed to sound.

Today I looked and saw a device like a small black plastic box on a stick, embedded in a mulch bed at the front of their house. Didn't look like a spotlight or anything. I don't know if this is connected to the beeping, but if there was a device that sent out an almost supersonic beep I'd expect it to look like that.

Anyone know what this might be?

Many install those cat piss prevention devices, which also work on dogs. Maybe that is what it is?

I'm not sure what it is. A device to keep some kind of animal away makes the most sense. I'll have to pay closer attention and see if there's a weird lack of animals in that yard.

It doesn't look like that thing @bud16415, but it's probably a similar size.

Back