New doorwall cost?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onion69420

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a small rook on the back of my house that is essentially a dead space. It's 5x20. I believe it was once a sunroof that was enclosed. It has 4 sets of windows.
My house has no access to the backyard except by walking out the front door and walking around. That's no good, it makes it a pain to let the dog out, grill etc.
I want to have a new doorwall cut in, a 6 footer. The exterior wall is brick facade over plywood sheathing.
How much would framing in a doorwall cost?
I figure the door itself is probably 1500 bucks. Do most window companies do this?

As opposed to just cutting a new opening, are any of the windows in a combination, that they could be eliminated and the opening placed there.

Another thing to consider, is illumination, both in and out.

You'd need a mason, you don't simply cut a hole in the wall, you'd need to have the bricks weaved back in since the bricks are very likely cored bricks, plus the cut won't look like a finished brick. Your $1500 estimate for the cost of the door is about right. I installed a 5' French door in my basement and that was about what it cost. In my case, I probably spent $500 on framing and incidental expenses. I was able to reuse the Hardi-Plank siding I removed before installing the door. A contractor friend helped me and it took the two of us most of the day. I had done all the framing inside before we removed the siding and cut the hole in the house.

Given the material cost and the time my friend and I spent on the project I'd put the cost of a professional install without brick north of $4000, and with brick north of $5000. A lot of the window guys are specialized in just doing replacement windows in existing openings. You really need a good carpenter and a good mason.

The picture of the door doesn't show the light I added after the door was installed. Since that picture was taken the door has been painted and a light installed.

Attachments

• 64451447186__FEFD34FA-BE0F-4FF4-B05C-A62B284F950B.jpeg
    64451447186__FEFD34FA-BE0F-4FF4-B05C-A62B284F950B.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6451.jpg
    IMG_6451.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6437.jpeg
    IMG_6437.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
In addition to cutting the hole in the wall you'll need to install a steel lintel to support the brick above the door along with a header in the framing to support the framing above the door.

HMMM, I took this to mean that the brick was an applied material used as an appearance of brick, not the product; "The exterior wall is brick facade over plywood sheathing."

HMMM, I took this to mean that the brick was an applied material used as an appearance of brick, not the product; "The exterior wall is brick facade over plywood sheathing."
My house is framed with a single layer of regular brick applied to the outside. The brick rests on the foundation. This is brick veneer construction versus masonry construction where you have a double layer of bricks with furring strips applied to the inside to support the plaster board/drywall. Not a very common construction method in the USA today. There is a thin brick product that can be applied over a plywood substrate. In this type of construction the brick is applied to the substrate and is akin to tile on backer board.

YEP, that's what I took it to mean.

Some photo's may, or may not assist.

YEP, that's what I took it to mean.

Some photo's may, or may not assist.
As with all things building his "brick façade" could be anything. He hasn't been back, but he's not a first time poster, so he'll probably be back at some point, right now we're talking to ourselves.

Back