Quantcast

New Home Owner. Energy Efficiency.. Did I miss Something?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

rchljffrsn

Reaction score
I am a first time homeowner and live in Ohio. Ive owned my home for 7 months now. When I bought it I had all new energy efficient windows and doors installed. I also had new blown in insulation put in through out the house and attic. I purchased and put up insulating curtains on all the windows. The furnace and ducting has been inspected and cleaned. Other than being outdated it works very well. But my house is drafty and cold still. Did i miss something? I was wondering if maybe the basement has a major air leak? Or if i need to replace the furnace. If anyone has any suggestions or pointers before i spend another small fortune Im all ears.

Snoonyb

Reaction score
Welcome.
Drafty, means there is discernible air flow, so, you'll need to start isolating sources of origin.

Close room doors and stuff a towel under the door, as a fore instance.

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Check for air leaks around doors, windows( even if they're new), utility services, plumbing pipes, any penetration on a outside wall. A candle is a good thing to use, look for the flicker of the flame.

rchljffrsn

Reaction score
Ok thank you! I just read something online about it could likely be that my basement is the source of the problem because its a concrete block wall unfinished basement.

Latest posts