New kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Van

Reaction score
I'm planning on remodeling our kitchen. We have new cabinets that are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I asked the cabinet company for a two week heads up so I could start my demo but they gave me three days notice . . . it seems they really didn't know when the cabinets would be in. Anyway, the existing kitchen floor was tiled around the old existing cabinets at some time before we bought the house and now the bulk of the floor is 3/4" higher than the floor beneath the cabinets. I want to raise the floor where the cabinets where to match the newer floor height. I suppose plywood of the appropriate thickness laid down would get it close but to level the floor and fill in the gaps between the tile and the new plywood. . .what should I use? Would light weight leveling compound work?

If you are not radically changing the cabinet layout, just use a decorative base, or 1/4 round.

Do the new cabinets have adjustable legs on the bottom? If they do they may adjust for the 3/4 and then just cover the bottom edge with a base molding. :coffee:

Back