New roof BUT STILL terrible leak!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanKan

Reaction score
Hello, I am in need of some advice about a leaky roof...hope someone on here could give an opinion on it.

A quick summary of the situation: So last year we had what we thought was a leaky roof, and hired a roofing company to evaluate the situation. They concluded that we need to replace the roof. We then had a few more companies take a look with the same conclusion. We figured ok, it's been MANY years since a roof was put on, so we just went with the professionals recommendation and had the roof redone. The company we hired also recommend replacing the gutters, which where very old and damaged in areas. So we did that as well. Money was spent, the work was done. But...The leaks did not. After some heavy rains, the roof would leak in the same exact areas and drip water onto our front bathroom and living rooms.

*Quick notes: We have a flat roof. We do not have an attic.

We called the roofing company to come check the situation. They came, and tried to figure out how this was happening with no solution at the time. Credit to them, they sent out a construction professional to look it over and he had some idea. This is was he pointed out:

1. The leak enters the front bathroom wall. This made sense to me since the front bathroom was the first area where the leak would drip in and cause damage.

2. He then pointed out that the only part of the living room that was affected by the leak, is directly connected to the front bathroom. So the leak is coming in through the front bathroom and leading to the living room.

3. Then, we both headed outside and evaluated the bathroom wall where he thought the leak is coming in from. He points out all the damage to the wood siding, and points out a gap between the wood siding and where the roof connects.

After pointing out these issues, He recommends one of 2 things. Either replace the wood siding, at least the siding where the leak is coming from (front bathroom wall). OR he tells us a more economical fix would be to install a sort of 'metal flashing' underneath the gutter to shield that gap where the siding connects to the roof. This 'metal flashing' should be 6-8 inches in height, and go all the way across the wall.

I think his idea will probably fix the problem. Just wanted others opinion on it. Thanks.DAMAGE.jpgidea.jpgROOF-DIAGRAM.jpgROOFLEAK.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds about right and I’m not a professional.

With a driven rain in high winds the top edge looks pretty exposed as an entry point.

As the damage has been done you can test the idea with a hose and spray nozzle. If you blast that area and water gets in you know your problem.

Then you can figure out the best way to stop it that looks the best also

If you have a vapour barrier above the drywall, that water could be coming from anywhere. I would be suspecting the plumbing vent ot the bath fan vent where they go thru the roof.
Things should have been replaced when the roof was replaced. Can you get pictures of thos, Oldog will want to see them.

The back of the gutter should be up behind the drip edge, it appears there is a gap between the drip edge and gutter. If this is your case, water will get behind the gutter and into the top of your siding.

The gutters are setup under the drip edge. i've stuck my fingers up there and know for sure the gutters are up in there, can't imagine water getting in that way.

I'm not a pro, but I'd replace the damaged wood AND put in the flashing.

The gutter should go up behind the drip edge. If there was more flashing needed it should have been done at the time.

1586636015064.png

Back