noisy bathroom exhaust fan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevexxx

Reaction score
Please recommend new fan engine or how to oil & reuse bracket?

The bathroom fan is original to the home probably 50 years old, fan makes a squealing sound.

I’ve removed from the vent tube and attempted to oil it, didn’t see a oil access hole just squirted some wd40 down the engines shaft. This helped for about 15 minutes.

1. the bracket is pressed on. Will it have to be drilled off, in order to reuse the bracket?
Where it’s pressed on appears to be the 2 bolts holding the engine together.

Maybe the top bolts nuts removed the whole engine simply slides up/off these bolts are reused?

1. is there a oiling hole? Or where to oil?
  2. the fan appears to be pressed on the engine shaft. How is it removed to place on a new engine (that’s if I need to replace engine).please recommend new engine.thanks for advice Stevebathroom fan 1.jpgbathroom fan 2.jpg

Last edited:
They sell a wide assortment of replacement motors with fan and mounting attachments. I have always just replaced the whole unit. Most of the people selling them will show critical dimensions that can be checked against the one you pulled out. :coffee:

buy a new one and this time buy one with a rating of 1.0 sones

Noise. The noise emitted by an exhaust fan is rated in “sones,” and most fans have a sones rating between the range of 0.5 to 6.0. ... Since a sones rating of 1.0 compares to the sound of a quiet refrigerator, any fan with a sones rating of 1.0 or less is considered very quiet.

Bud I did a quickie browse of fan engines most all of them didn't include the fan or mount bracket please a link would of your recommendation thanks.Bathroom Exhaust Vent Fan Motor Replacement for Broan Nutone 97008584 | eBay
Bill thanks for the advice I'd much prefer a quite engine. a link would be a big help. thanks

are you both saying the fan blade can't be reused on a new engine? also notice the opening around the vent tube (it's larger than it appears is this a possible entrance for mosquitoes they seam to be entering the bathroom. maybe a window screen over the trim piece will stop them?

I’m not an expert, but over the last 50 years I have dealt with a few of these bathroom fans, and as far as I know especially with the older ones everything is removable. Look for a setscrew at the flange of the fan and some bolts and nuts on the bracket to take it apart. The last one I did I took to the Home-Depot and they matched it up and had one in stock.

Existing Fan blade is 8” hole is 8 ½”

I’m leaning toward this fan/ housing & 7”fan Amazon.com: Ventline (V2262-50 (7") 50 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Fan : Tools & Home Improvement
1.I hope a 7" fan can blow open it's housing flap and the houses flap?

2.It requires a 8” opening, I’m assuming the lower outside piece will cover the remaining ½” of hole?

3.Also assuming the lower outside piece will screw into a stud above the sheetrock as in my image.
new fan.jpg
4.the orginal wired connection is pressed into the orginal vent tube will have to hack it apart? then will this terminal plug into the top part of the cross bracket where the new engines wire plugs into the bottom of it?

Bud you where correct my old fan doe’s in fact have a set screw holding the fan blade however it’s rusted tight an I can’t really grab and twist the tiny screwdriver. I’ve been soaking it in wd40 will try to add vice grip to screwdriver for a good grab.

Bill The sone rating isn’t listed however a reviewer (the first one) wrote it’s 2.33sones.

besides high sonnes how doe's the cfms appear the bathroom is not real big 5'x8'.

edit: was browsing this fan yesterday the price then was $40.
thanks Guys for advising

I don't think the amazon fan assembly will fit my vent tube I only have 5" of clearance from sheetrock to bottom of vent flap.
I'm still trying to remove the fan blade from old engine.

Back