Object stuck in outdoor gas key valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen Markosian

Reaction score
My 2 year old stuck a glass rock from the outdoor fireplace in the key gas valve. It has the extension on it so the rock is about a foot back into the end of the valve. How do I safely get it removed?

Depending on a lot of variables, the first thing I would try is a shop vac. I have removed things from drains etc.. using one. Find a piece of tubing that will fit into the extension tube and use a rag or tape to seal the opening between the tubing and the opening of the vacuum hose, then reach in and see if you can pick up the rock. If it works it is quick and simple, if not you will have to go to more extreme measures.

As a kid I saw a quarter down in a storm drain with the heavy steel grate above it. My Buddy came along and said what are you looking at and I said a quarter. We were then both looking down trying to figure it out and the neighbor girl named Norma rides up on her bike and said what ya looking at and I told her a quarter. She walks over and picks up a 4 foot stick under a tree sticks her wad of bazooka bubble gum she was chewing on the end faster than a blink she stuck that quarter pulled it up put her gum back in her mouth and my quarter in her pocket handed me the stick and rode off. I will never forget that one. o_O

As a kid I saw a quarter down in a storm drain with the heavy steel grate above it. My Buddy came along and said what are you looking at and I said a quarter. We were then both looking down trying to figure it out and the neighbor girl named Norma rides up on her bike and said what ya looking at and I told her a quarter. She walks over and picks up a 4 foot stick under a tree sticks her wad of bazooka bubble gum she was chewing on the end faster than a blink she stuck that quarter pulled it up put her gum back in her mouth and my quarter in her pocket handed me the stick and rode off. I will never forget that one. o_O
Should have married her.

Depending on a lot of variables, the first thing I would try is a shop vac. I have removed things from drains etc.. using one. Find a piece of tubing that will fit into the extension tube and use a rag or tape to seal the opening between the tubing and the opening of the vacuum hose, then reach in and see if you can pick up the rock. If it works it is quick and simple, if not you will have to go to more extreme measures.

Careful on this approach, I burned up a shop vac by doing this. They aren't designed to pull through suck a narrow tube. If you quick about it, it just might work but, be forewarned.

Yep , should have married her . She would have been a keeper + probably is rich now . Could have supported you and your hobbies , in style . :)

Wyr
God bless

Yep , should have married her . She would have been a keeper + probably is rich now . Could have supported you and your hobbies , in style . :)

Wyr
God bless
Buds hobby it seems is shoveling snow, what's he to do the 2 months of the year there's no snow on the ground in Erie?

Buds hobby it seems is shoveling snow, what's he to do the 2 months of the year there's no snow on the ground in Erie?
I thought everyone knows what you do the other 2 months in Erie. You patch pot holes.

Back