Odd/Damaged supports in attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a nice 3 bedroom brick range in 1974 without setting foot in it. It was 12 years old. My wife looked at it and liked it. Only bad thing was what I thought was a 2 door garage door turned out to be a 1 1/2 car 12' wide door on the 3 car size garage. Son of previous owners stopped by one day and said his mother thought a 2 car door looked too big so they did the smaller door. We worked around it since we had a little Pinto at the time for one of our vehicles that was easy to tuck off to the side and never enlarged it. After 1 1/2 years we sold it for 50% more than we paid for it after dolling it up.

What does the bottom of the 2x4 rest on in the ceiling? I'd almost be inclined to think this was temporary bracing that was left in place after the roof was finished. I'd really need to see more angles and what its sitting on to go any further though. How old is the house? The rafters look quite a bit older than the OSB on the roof deck.
The home was built in 1987, roof is original. Even the original singles are on the roof, but they're covered by a second layer that was put on the home in 2004. The new roof project has been canceled, this is a small home, 1680 SQFT, and a simple roof design. I was quoted $30K for the most basic re-shingle. So it looks like I'll be doing the roof myself in the future so solar can be added to the home, as summer time electricity bills are usually ~$600 a month

The home was built in 1987, roof is original. Even the original singles are on the roof, but they're covered by a second layer that was put on the home in 2004. The new roof project has been canceled, this is a small home, 1680 SQFT, and a simple roof design. I was quoted $30K for the most basic re-shingle. So it looks like I'll be doing the roof myself in the future so solar can be added to the home, as summer time electricity bills are usually ~$600 a month
$30 K for a new roof? Wow, that's pretty high. Even with stripping off two layers. I'm in the South (NC) with a 2500 square foot house with gas heat, cooking, clothes drying and water heating and electric AC. My electric bills are $128/month on the equal payment plan. My gas varies but is rarely over $200 in the coldest winter. If I wasn't on equal payment plan my summer bills would probably be in the $250 range.

I really think based on your pictures that those were temporary supports when the roof was being framed. Looks like a hip roof and the braces are on the hip rafters where the plane of the roof changes. They would be the first rafters installed along with the ridge beam.

https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Hip-Roof

Back