Odd Electrial Reading?? Ghost In The Deck Lamps

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLman

Reaction score
I bought a Klein NCVT-1 a few years back, and it's doing something I've never seen before.

I'm about to dismantle and work on two deck lamps ( I know where the breaker is), But I'd like to get some advice about what's going on before I proceed.

IMG_20200724_193801820.jpg

As you can see, when I put the volt tester approx. 4.5 inches from the lamp, it's green. When I move it a smidge closer, it turns red, indicating voltage.

IMG_20200721_203641293.jpg IMG_20200721_203643556.jpg

I've never gotten a reading like this before in mid air. Usually, if I touch a wire or insert it into an outlet, either I get a red light indicating voltage or I don't. Maybe in some circumstances I might get a red light if the volt tester is a quarter inch away from a source, but that's rare.

There are three deck lamps, and the volt tester behaves this way with all three lamps. No red indicator when the lamps are turned off. The switch to turn them on/off is inside. I need to take the North deck lamp apart because it flickers when turned on after a rain, and the South deck lamp because it is sitting on rotting wood that needs to be replaced.

I did touch all three lamps with my bare hand, I did not feel any juice.

Can anyone tell me if I have a problem here? Or should I just disregard? Calling Robert Stack, over.

You may be reading transient voltage from the neutral.

Back