Opening up wall to family room.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadde

Reaction score
We live in an old farmhouse that we added on a family room. I opened up part of the (gable) wall between the original house and new family room which is about a 5 1/2' opening. I originally wanted to double the opening size with columns on each side. Unfortunately there is a heating duct dead center. So my question is this. Would it look bad to build a column around the duct and extend the opening on the other side. So it would be an 11' opening with a column in the center.
Picture is attached.

Why not, if it is aesthetically balanced.

Thank you for the reply! Well I an hesitant because I am yet to see a similar type of opening with a post in the center of the opening. Most times there are columns or combination of columns and half walls on each side. Just not in the middle. So your opinion is as long as it is balanced it will look ok?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! Well I an hesitant because I am yet to see a similar type of opening with a post in the center of the opening. Most times there are columns or combination of columns and half walls on each side. Just not in the middle. So your opinion is as long as it is balanced it will look ok?

There is no accounting for taste. An aesthetic question is difficult, because each person knows what is pleasing to their own eye.

But, have you considered moving the duct? Is there anything blocking access to it that would make it impossible to move?

Well actually I could get access to it. I would need to remove the existing header on the side directly under the upstairs bedroom in order to run the duct.
But I would have had to do that anyway if I was to install a header all the way across the opening. Being a two story gable wall, i assume I will need to come up with a creative way to support it before I can install the header for what would be an 8' span.

Back