Ornament Organizer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Reaction score
I picked up a plastic tub a few days ago to store ornaments. These are collected on our anniversary trips we take each October. We wanted to keep them separate from the other decorations, so this is what I came up with. I made egg crate style dividers on the CNC , from 1/8" expanded PVC. 24 ornaments per layer, with 5 layers. We have enough to fill it about 1/3 full to date. My Daughter said, you know you can buy those. I said yes, I know, but that would be like telling a fisherman it would be easier and cheaper to go to the deli for fish.

About 20 years ago I made a few hundred boxes out of 1/2 plywood and the grids out of 1/8 mdf, the were shipped to Taipei. I figured then we would see them on the market in plastic.

About 20 years ago I made a few hundred boxes out of 1/2 plywood and the grids out of 1/8 mdf, the were shipped to Taipei. I figured then we would see them on the market in plastic.

I thought about cutting them out of corrugated cardboard, but I had enough PVC cut offs laying around, so I upgraded.

Christmas ornaments are my go-to souvenir when traveling. When we decorate the tree we can remember the trip we got them on and when Christmas is over we place them back away until next year.

At this point, I try to avoid plastic ones made in China opting for more handcrafted ones. It isn't always possible but it is the goal.

Christmas ornaments are my go-to souvenir when traveling. When we decorate the tree we can remember the trip we got them on and when Christmas is over we place them back away until next year.

At this point, I try to avoid plastic ones made in China opting for more handcrafted ones. It isn't always possible but it is the goal.

We've got all kinds, plastic ball, glass ball, flat stamped metal, flat ceramic, wood, figurines. Traveling around the country, you find some unique ornaments sometimes. Most places sell them year round too, so that made them our souvenir of choice too.

Over the years, we had many a trim-a-tree party with our friends and neighbors. We've asked that they bring an ornament. Got a lot of great memories hanging on the tree - probably need two trees by now.

Is their any thing your cnc machine cant do?
Pretty much any 3 axis idea I can come up with it will cut. I've been eyeing the 4th axis rotary attachment that would really open some doors, but I don't know if I can justify the cost.

Back