Outdoor Wire, Need to Terminate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewalkdrop

Reaction score
There used to be a short lightpole in my front yard. It got hit by a truck, I had to remove it and decided not to replace it. The problem is that there is a live electric cord that used to run through the pole. The chord is terminated with an outlet, but I don't want it out there. It could easily get hit by a lawnmower or something.

What are my options here? Since the truck incident, I've just turned off that circuit. Unfortunately, one of our bathroom outlets is on that circuit. I've sold the house and will be moving out in a few weeks. I don't want to have an outlet not functioning, nor do I want to leave a dangerous outdoor wiring hanging there.

Is there a proper way to terminate the wire outside and bury it? Should I try to rewire the bathroom outlet? Should the breaker box be rewired so that outdoor outlet is on it's own breaker?

Find the inside end of the cable and disconnect from the power and remove it from the junction box. Once the buried cable is dead you can do what ever you like with it.

Back