P-Trap Leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this meet code? Any recommendations? I bought a new vanity and I don't want to cut through the little shelf to have a regular P-trap. This gives me a trap, but the darn thing seems to leak where the downpipe inserts into the forged metal collar that accommodates the pop-up mechanism for the sink stopper... just above the Slipnut. Should I just wrap it? It should never see pressure...

1st of all, the drain/stopper assembly is installed crocked.

I always coat the threads, of the fine threaded tail piece with faucet lube.

Is that two P-traps tied together...pretty slick work-around, but I would fear that the extra uphill run would allow a lot of waste to collect in the trap. The trap will hold a lot of water also, and that middle connection will be constantly under water.
Get an extension tube to go between the chrome and the plastic ....and lower the trap. then you won't need the extra inverted trap.
Alternatively, you could cut back the pipe coming from the wall and that would give you room to add a couple of 45• elbows to make a smoother run to the main drain

Does not meet code.
The problem is that there is a chance that the water running through the top loop, could potentially suck the bottom trap dry thus allowing for backup of methane into the home.
Is it possible to shorten the downpipe for the pop-up to gain enough clearance?

It will always leak with the way it is setup.
The water line, or weir, is always at that connection or higher depending on the water in the sink.
Plumb it correctly, and it wont leak.

Back