Paint Sprayer Problem!!!

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by savatreatabvr, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1

savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr

I found a Graco STX paint sprayer on Craigslist for $50, it looked new, was clean and worked great so I bought it! I thought I SCORED big time but I was oh so wrong. Got it home and after about 5 minutes of spraying the fuse on the circuit board blows! No big deal right, I replaced the fuse and 5 minutes later it blows again! I checked for shorts and anything that looked like it may be an issue but found nothing and no matter how many fuses I replace it still blows them! Like I said I've checked the obvious and I'm not taking it to a Graco service center because I'll spend as much there as I would buying a new one so what else can I check that could possibly be blowing fuses?
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 29, 2014 #2

havasu

havasu

havasu

Try thinning the paint, make sure you sift out any particles with a good filter, and do not use an extension cord.

3. Jan 29, 2014 #3

kok328

kok328

kok328

Does it trip when you run just plain water through it?

Could be a worn out motor.

See if the motor has serviceable brushes, maybe they are worn out.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #4

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor

OP,
    Is there any other appliance or device on the same circuit that is high demand and is cycling on at the same time the sprayer is operating? Could the breaker just be weak? Have you tried it on a different circuit?

efreezee likes this.
  5. Feb 1, 2014 #5

savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr

savatreatabvr

Yeah, I've tried everything! The only thing that some what works is as soon as it builds up pressure I shut it off and spray until it looses pressure and then power it back up, build pressure and repeat the process. I'm not a professional painter so it works good enough for my little projects it just gets annoying sometimes, lol!

efreezee likes this.
  6. Dec 20, 2014 #6

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

It should shut itself off at a set pressure, if it doesn't the motor will be working to hard and the fuse should go, so the problem will be with some switch that reads the pressure.

And Erick, welcome to the site.

7. Dec 20, 2014 #7

kok328

kok328

kok328

To be clear, I understand it's the circuit board fuse not your panel circuit breaker that is blowing. I'm with Neal, could be a worn pressure cut off switch or in need of a few turns of an adjustment knob. What happens if you load it up with water and leave the trigger wide open ? Does it run until you let up on the trigger ?