Please help with dimmable LED light fixture install!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimmerwit

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks in advance!

So, I installed this LED fixture in my bathroom to replace an old fluorescent fixture that had a bad ballast:

Color Selectable, 4 ft. LED Strip Fixture, K 3500-4000-5000, 32W, 4200 Lumens, 2 Lamp Fluorescent Equal, 120-277V, TCP TCPGPS4UZDA8CCT | 1000Bulbs.com

It is a dimmable (0-10V) fixture and it is working just fine with the original single pole switch that was in the wall. Obviously, not able to dim. I want to take advance of the fixture’s dimming capability, but am confused as to what type of switch to use. There is no low voltage wiring in the wall; only the original regular wiring that went to the old and replaced fluorescent fixture. I bought this dimmer switch, but it appears to need low voltage wiring for it to work as a dimmer:

0-10 VDC - Dimmer - White - Enerlites 51300L | 1000Bulbs.com

Is there a dimmer switch that I can use for the new LED fixture using the existing wiring in the box (two black, one ground)?

Any advice/tips would be very appreciated. Thanks for your help!

LG

Your fixture runs off of line voltage. It isn't low voltage. Just make sure your dimmer is LED compatible.

You need an external device connected to the violet and gray wires and it needs to have a variable voltage between 0-10 volts when at zero will be the dimmest setting. There is a help line I would call the company and find out if they sell this device.

If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly the 0-10V DC dimmer is an internal circuit that comes included. I think if you put an LED compatible dimmer on the line voltage connections you will be able to dim it.

Thank you for your responses.

The dimmer switch that I bought (link provided) is LED compatible. I connected to the line voltage connections and it was able to turn the fixture on/off, but the dimming slider did nothing. It has purple and grey “low voltage” wires coming out of it as well as line voltage wires. Don’t the purple and grey wires need to be connected to the fixture somehow?

Thanks.

Well, that is precisely what I was hoping to avoid so as to not have to run more wires through the wall. I was hoping to be able to use the dimming feature with the existing wiring. Thanks.

LED dimming has been a challenge. I installed a bunch of dimmable surface mounted "cans". I'm not sure why, maybe I had too many of them on the circuit, but they strobed with the dimmer in any position short of full on. The load certainly wasn't too much, but the all the electronics in the lights may have been the issue. I wound up putting it on an on/off switch.

You may be able to avoid dimmers by installing a different fixture without the external dimming circuit. Look for fixtures that dim based on line voltage.

We have a couple lamps that connect to the wifi and we dim them and change color from our phones even turn them on and off. She loves messing around with this wifi stuff it doesn’t get me too excited.

On the one you have when I read the directions I assumed you needed to run 2 more wires. If you don’t want to open the walls and such maybe there is a 0-10v dimmer module that could be put into the fixture and you could turn it on and off at the switch but could set the dim level at the fixture.

Back