Plunge cut with circular saw.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know if that you don’t want to do it with a plunge cut, you can always drill the four corners with a drill bit large enough for your saber. Saw blades to go in there. They just cut out in Square up the hole with your saber saw
I grew up calling *THAT* saw a saber saw but a lot of people (especially the West coast) don't know what a saber saw is . . .so I started calling it a jig saw. So, where does the name "saber saw" come from?

I grew up calling *THAT* saw a saber saw but a lot of people (especially the West coast) don't know what a saber saw is . . .so I started calling it a jig saw. So, where does the name "saber saw" come from?
Good question! Maybe an east coast/west coast thing?

A saber saw was always a hand held jab saw that you turned the whole saw to cut a shape. A scroll saw was like a saber saw except the front hand knob turned the blade. A jig saw was a table mounted blade saw where the blade was held on both ends and reciprocated. Thus the jigsaw puzzle.

Today I see the names being used both ways.

Around here they call all the inline reciprocating saws Sawzall but the old timers call them a jab saw. Milwaukee is really the only real Sawzall though.

Who knows here we call all soft drinks pop but not far from here they are all coke. As for a pop someplace and they give you a sideways look, so you say ok I’ll have a coke and they say what kind.

When I started my apprenticeship many years ago it was grab the yoyo, hand me a knuckle buster, did you bring the hickey, don’t try and drill that grab the old man. Etc.

Any of you ever drill a hole using a old man? Great tool to have.

Back