Pool Cool Deck is in need of repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZHomeOwner

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience repairing cool deck patio? It is about 30 years old, and a small section is cracking and separating right next to the pool! How to reinforce (even if it isn't pretty for now). I don't want it to get any worse.

Attachments

• 20220614_133747.jpg
    20220614_133747.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220614_133751.jpg
    20220614_133751.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220614_133806.jpg
    20220614_133806.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5
That's completely separated in many places. Someone could easily step on that and it will completely give way and come off, creating a jagged edge. I don' think there's anything you can do short of removing the detaching section and building up a patch that would make this structurally sound again. Caulking is probably a bad idea at this point because that will give the illusion that it's firm and someone will be more likely to step on it. Also, with the gap already that wide I don't think caulking is going to prevent it from continuing to separate.

Because the crack isn't extending farther into the coping, I don't think you're in danger of it spreading to other areas. The way it will get worse is just to continue to widen until that whole section falls out. But, the first step in a long-term repair will be to remove the cracked part anyways. I'd say be safe about it and make sure no one steps in that area but there's really not a good temporary fix until you're ready for the longer term fix of removing the bad piece and putting in a patch.

I’m not an expert on this subject, but as far as I know Cool Deck is a coating put on concrete. It looks like yours broke there because that’s the location of the skimmer and the material in that area was not solidly supported.

Repairing may be equally as weak.

At some point that section has to be cut out and repaired / replaced. How far back I don’t know and how you get a small amount of Cool Deck to match and apply it.

Might be a job for a pool contractor.

Thanks for the inputs, I will try to get this professionally fixed for the long term!

Repairing a cool deck patio that is cracking and separating next to the pool is a common issue, especially as the deck ages. Here are some steps you can take to reinforce and repair the damaged area:
  1. Assess the Damage: Start by thoroughly inspecting the damaged area to understand the extent of the cracking and separation. Determine if the damage is isolated to a specific section or if it extends further.
  2. Clean the Area: Remove any debris, dirt, or loose material from the damaged area. Use a pressure washer or a scrub brush and water to clean the surface thoroughly. Allow the area to dry completely before proceeding.
  3. Repair Cracks and Gaps: Fill in any cracks or gaps in the cool deck surface using a concrete patching compound or repair mortar. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for mixing and applying the product. Use a trowel to smooth the patch and ensure it blends seamlessly with the surrounding area.
  4. Reinforce the Substrate: If the cracking and separation are caused by underlying issues such as soil movement or inadequate support, you may need to reinforce the substrate beneath the cool deck. This could involve adding additional support beams or installing a concrete footing to stabilize the area.
  5. Apply a Sealant: Once the repairs are complete and the surface is dry, consider applying a sealant or waterproofing coating to protect the cool deck from further damage. Choose a product specifically designed for use on cool decks and follow the manufacturer's instructions for application.
  6. Monitor and Maintain: Regularly inspect the repaired area for any signs of new cracks or damage. Address any issues promptly to prevent them from worsening. Additionally, maintain the cool deck by keeping it clean and free of debris, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that could damage the surface.
If the damage to the cool deck is extensive or if you're unsure about how to proceed, it may be best to consult with a professional contractor who specializes in cool deck repair. They can assess the situation and recommend the most appropriate repair methods for your specific needs.

Back