Power tool for cutting drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Is there a power tool for cutting drywall? If I have to cut a 8' sheet lengthwise, is there a better way than by hand? Oscillating saw?

I've never seen anyone cut drywall with anything other than a utility blade. Score one side and snap. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Only time I would use my oscillating saw would be for cutting out outlets and switches.
A "Pro" drywaller would be using a Roto Zip to cut out the holes, or a sheet rock saw.

I've never seen anyone cut drywall with anything other than a utility blade. Score one side and snap. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I think I meant something that looks like a manual tile cutter, except for drywall. Something that could eliminate the human error associated with cutting 8' lengths by hand and eye.

You first have to go to Tibet and master the art of tension writing. When you successfully master the art form you will be able to write the lords prayer on a grain of rice. Once you will have these mad skills it will be a simple task to draw a thin pencil line down an 8’ sheet of drywall and within 10 seconds score that line with a razor sharp utility knife. On inspection of the cut half the pencil line will be on each piece you cut over 100% of the length. This also works for curved cuts.

If you don’t want to spend the time going to Tibet and learning the skills you can teach yourself in a few minutes. First look at the line and look at the cutting tool, clear your mind of all thoughts except the line, think to yourself this simple mantra “Be The Line.” Think of nothing but that and only that and begin moving the knife. It will be imposable in that state to make that knife cut anyplace except the line. Within maybe 10 cuts your speed will increase and you can mystify your friends with your new found skills.

Use a T square and cut it 4' in from one end, flip it around and cut it 4' in from the other end. Drywall isn't finished carpentry, tape and mud can cover a multitude of sins on the part of your cuts. You don't need to cut deep with the knife to snap off the drywall.

Score the line with the dry wall laying flat on a table. After scoring (see bud's post) slide the drywall so the score line lines up with the edge of the table. Snap the drywall down so the drywall breaks on the line. While the joint is open, score the backside paper, through the break in the drywall with the knife. Then give the drywall a quick snap back up to break the backside paper. If you really, really want to buy a power tool, Google a zip tool. You can install the drywall over outlet boxes with a couple of screws, just enough to register the drywall in it's final resting place. Then use the zip tool to cut around the electrical box. Although a tape measure and a straight edge and a knife can accomplish the same task.

Another tip before I start drinking for the day.

Wet the edge of the box or use lipstick on the edge. Put the sheet in place and push it against the box. the wet edge or lipstick will leave a mark. Hack the hole out from the back.

What color lip stick?

I already started drinking.

Latest posts

Back