Pressure Switch for Well Pump

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer55

Reaction score
The pressure switch for my well is in the basement of my home. Does anyone know how to increase the pressure to my homes water supply? Currently, it is set at ~40 PSI. Before the switch was replaced recently, my pressure was at 60 psi.

Take the cover off the switch. Be careful there are live wires inside. There is usually a diagram on the inside of the cover tell you which screws and which way to turn them to control the pressure. If it is not there then google the make and model of the switch

Some switches have one adjustment that controls both the shut on and shut off pressure with something like a 20 PSI differential. When you raise the low end as you want to the upper end also goes up. If you have this type now and it kicks on at 40PSI it will kick off at 60PSI adjusting it up will give you 60/80 and that might be too high.

The other type switch have two adjustments one for cut on one for cut off. If you raise the lower one but not the upper pressure as much your pump will cycle on and off more often.

You will know what type you have once you open it. As you adjust it you will have to let the pump cycle and watch the gage as it does to see what turning the screws did for you. Some switches are 2.5 PSI for each turn of the screw. If you do it powered up be very careful poking a nutdriver in there when the switch is hot.

If you have a switch with only one spring, just turn the nut on top clockwise until you get the desired pressure. You will have to cycle the pump several times to see if you need to crank on that nut some more. If you have two springs, a tall and short one. Leave the short one alone.

Pressure switches can have one or two adjustments.
The one adjustment on all switches is the pressure. If you raise it, both the on and off pressure go up.
The second adjustment that is on some switches is the differential. It adjust how much pressure between the on and off setting. Usually it is set to 20 psi and not changed.

Take the cover off the switch. Be careful there are live wires inside. There is usually a diagram on the inside of the cover tell you which screws and which way to turn them to control the pressure. If it is not there then google the make and model of the switch

inmo, joe nailed it, google the name brand

Back