Project Mileage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
OK I have a 2006 Ford F250 V10 2wd 6" lift and 35" tires.

I used this truck mainly for towing my 5th wheel and taking trips with the family since it is comfortable.

Right now I am getting about 5 MPG when towing. My goal is to up this to about 7 for my trip next month to Colorado.

I have done a lot of research and there is little you can do to these V10 to make them better on the mileage side.

Right now it has factory 4:10 gears with the tow package but with lifting it and putting larger tires I am sure it hurt the mileage. Still pulls better then my Diesel F250 but I think it can do better.

On my list to do are:

Gears, figuring 4:56 will bring a little better then stock, I would go lower but I want to keep a nice highway cruise speed without being at 3,000 RPM all the time.

I was going to buy a cold air intake but I have been doing a lot of research on the ZooDad mod with a K&N Filter will do better and at 50 bucks instead of 300 I am ok with that. The ZooDad is where you cutt a hole in your core support by your radiator and it acts like a Ram Air at highway speeds forcing all that cool air into the air box = I think better then a high flow filter in stock location under a hot hood.

Next I will do exhaust to help with the air flow. I was going to do a whole new one but the Stock one has very little restrictions except the muffler itself, It allready has 3" pipe so I will just toss on a Flowmaster probably 40 or 50 series to help the flow. I have heard so many negative things about Banks which was my first choice and when all I hear is that people buy it for the name that doesn't help me.

I will post pics of everything I do starting tonight when I will do the ZooDad mod.

What do you think?

Why not just put a tuner on your diesel and open up the exhaust?

My diesel has a tuner and it works great. Problem is that it has 360,000 miles on it and compression is getting low and it is just worn. Also when I tow heavy loads it likes to push water out of the reservoir.

So yesterday I ran around town looking for a filter and muffler that no one had in stock and Napa really disappointed me, they couldn't even look up the muffler because it was not in their system as an exact fit for my truck. I guess Flowmaster got rid of their phones and salesman. They also wanted to charge me to ship the filter to their store from their supplier.

I ended up going home and ordering both parts from Summit with free shipping and 40 bucks cheaper then in the store. I now understand why these stores are hurting, you can not go into any retail chain store and get service of any kind. At every store I went I asked the same exact thing"I would like a Flowmaster muffler 40 series 3" offset in 3" offset out" then they would all ask me what vehicle make and model and motor and if it didn't pull up as a fit they would say they could not get it yet they sell Flowmaster in store.

Thats what happens when they dummy proof the computer...ah the good old days with the guy who kept thousands of parts numbers in his head.

I remember going to the auto part store and saying it looks like this and he came out with the right part.

Just did the ZooDad mod so we will see how it does once I get my new filter this week.

Was going to do the gears myself but with life being so busy and never had done them before I figured I would spend the three hundred labor and have them installed so they will be in Wednesday. By the end of the week I should have everything taken care of ready for towing cross country.

Is there anything else you guys can recommend I do to try and help out mileage?

the 40 flowmaster will be noisy!
if it gets to bothering you, go with a "Dyno max" turbo, 3" in and out.
MUCH quieter!
also look at a tuner for your V10, a good one will adjust the timing ( more torque) and fuel curve (better mileage) but you need to set it for economy NOT MAX HORSE POWER!

I'm looking at "Black Bear Performance" doing a "LIVE TUNE" where they drive and dyno the truck, then adjust timing. fuel, etc.
they only do them once a yr .

I am starting to research tuners for it but haven't heard to much good about them for mileage. I am in no need of power and have plenty especially with the regear coming but I will not say no to it.

I have heard good and bad about the muffler, it is a V10 so it will never have the rumble of a V8. More of an indy car sound.

Wish you would have posted yesterday about the muffler, I had not heard of that one. I don't care for noise so much as high flow.

So since my stock diff cover is rusted (No idea how in this desert) I ordered a rear diff cover for an 08 and up F250 diesel which came factory aluminun ribbed for a whopping 69 bucks. Not a bad deal. If anyone cares it will fit most all Ford 10.25 and 10.5 rear axles. here is the part number#8c3z-4033-a

images

Just looked up new spark plugs and they are 12.99 each.:eek:

I need ten of them!

Hopefully I can get my truck back anf get my exhaust on and filter in tomorrow night. Can't wait to feel the different and then hope it helped my mileage a little.

Run a tire with a stiff sidewall and keep them aired up. Gears will help, but keep in mind you should break them in before long hauls or prolonged highway speed. It's better to use dino. oil rather than synthetic during the break in process as well. Sounds like you've done everything you can, other than the tune. Possibly upgrade the ignition system, but I've heard mixed results on newer trucks where the combustion cycle is already very good.

I have a month to drive around on the gears before the trip so hopefully that will be enough. I have looked into the ignition system a little but will probably wait on that.

Brown santa came by again and dropped this off. Now if the shop would just hurry up with the gears.

Hmmmmmm where did my post go? Okay to lazy to type it all out again. In brief, check into a company called 5 star. I have read good stuff about their tuners.

Back