Project Mileage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So finally an update. Truck went from between 4-5 MPG while towing to about 7 MPG towing the 5th wheel. I am towing the 5th again this week a long distance on a different highway so I will check it again, the last time was a 1600 mile trip with a lot of hills. This time it will be about a 600 mile trip with less hills. I would like to get 7.5 if possible.

I hate the sound and drone of the flowmaster on the V10 and will likely change it out soon.

I love the sound of my 7.3 much better than a gas burner...just sayin.

If you didn't remember I have the 7.3, 6.0 and the V10 and the V8. I like my 6.0 and 7.3 a lot. I am torn on what to drive everyday. Maybe I should get rid of a few to make it easier.

So since adding my camper shell I am getting almost a mile per gallon more on the highway empty.

thats great! its not gonna help with the fifth wheel behind it though. maybe with a bumper pull?

I have been thinking of selling it to put the money towards a dodge 4x4 diesel. Dreams of course.

Depends on how much I get on it but before gearing I got between 9-10 and after i am hovering around 10. If it is just a bunch of short trips I get about 8-9. Best I have ever gotten was 12.

So I took my truck to the shop about a year ago for an alignment because it started pulling slightly to the right. They put it on the machine and said it was perfect and there was nothing they could do, well it has gotten slightly worse and is more annoying then anything. Was else could cause a truck to pull?

Took it to a different shop this morning and they were able to adjust it back to normal. Everything else should be fine. These trips are forcing me to maintenance my junk, I don't like that.

OK Just towed my boat about 600 miles and when running 89 octane fuel I was getting almost 10 MPG and with 87 octane I was getting between 8-9 so almost 1 MPG better with the higher octane. Or it could be just the road but I don't think so.

BTW before my gearing and all I was lucky to get 7 if I was easy on it while towing my boat.

I gained one MPG by going to a K&N air filter and one MPG by moving up to Higher octane on my truck.

I did the K&N along with the Flowmaster and gearing a while back and that was my big jump in mileage.

Back