Proper way to measure the window frame for replacement windows.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the Proper way to measure the window frame for replacement windows. The only reason i think its tricks is that the sill is slanted, in one place i get 30" and the over i get like 30-3/4. How do i know where the right dimension is? thanks

in this case 30" would be the correct dimension.

Standard windows should be framed in 2" increments as in 2'4", 2'6", 2'8" and so on. When ordering always state width first. New windows come 1/2" small in both directions to allow for fitting and leveling.

So I take it I dont measure the front of the window that is 30-3/4 due to the soant. I measure the back of the window that is 30" even. Then take a half on an inch in either direction for install. Thanks guys!

You can check with the supplier but I think if you order 30 3/4 inches, that would be special order and add to the cost. Here we would order a 2'6" which is 30 inches and( they) subtact the 1/2"

i was looking on Craigslist and some guy is selling Harvey replacements for like 30 bucks brand new, they are for my garage so I don't really care about the quality. thanks!

It depends if you are installing as inserts or new full frame... All vinyl windows and most wood windows these days are available in custom sizes down to the quarter or eighth inch.
Harvey is not bad, certainly a fine choice in a garage :)

Back