Pull Switch on Daisy Chained Fixtures

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyedoc

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Although i have done plenty of basic electrical work, my new basement has me a little annoyed.
The builder basically daisy chained all the light fixtures in the basement. Yes, all 8 of them. So basically I have to turn all of them on or off at the same time. I have gone about removing a few of them and putting a dimmer in to lower the lights, specially when watching a movie etc.

My question is if I put a pull switch on one of the fixtures, would that effect the whole chain?
My logic says no as the pull will be installed on the individual wire, but wanted to get some expert opinions.

Any other idea of getting away from the daisy chained lights would be helpful. Ofcourse without having to get an professional in and getting the whole basement re-wired.

Thanks,
Buckeyedoc

Hi Everyone,

Although i have done plenty of basic electrical work, my new basement has me a little annoyed.
The builder basically daisy chained all the light fixtures in the basement. Yes, all 8 of them. So basically I have to turn all of them on or off at the same time. I have gone about removing a few of them and putting a dimmer in to lower the lights, specially when watching a movie etc.

My question is if I put a pull switch on one of the fixtures, would that effect the whole chain?
My logic says no as the pull will be installed on the individual wire, but wanted to get some expert opinions.

Any other idea of getting away from the daisy chained lights would be helpful. Ofcourse without having to get an professional in and getting the whole basement re-wired.

Thanks,
Buckeyedoc
Think of it this way, if one light is out, do all the lights go out, I'll guess no.

That makes complete sense.
I guess my concern was from wiring perspective. But I follow you :)

By "daisy-chained" do you mean that all the fixtures are controlled from a single switch, or that they are powered from the same circuit?

I meant one switch on the wall.

But yes, also one one breaker on panel.

If the dimmer is replacing the original switch, then all of the illumination from all the fixture will be reduced too the level set by the dimmer.

Installing a pull chain will only energize that fixture, with the dimmer on, and then only too the illumination level set by the dimmer.

Is the ceiling finished or open floor joists?

Yes, the dimmer was put on that single switch. And it dims all the lights.
I want to be able to turn off that one light, and I think you answered my question.

Ceiling is finished yes

A quick fix would be to purchase an adapter that will screw in to bulb socket and the bulb then screws into adapter. The adapter has a pull chain switch that will turn off only that one light. These adapters usually have a couple of outlets for a corded device. The outlets are not switched by the pull chain.

What type are the individual fixtures? I envision each one having to have an octagon box to contain the wiring under a cover plate. If that's the case then a pull chain switch could be installed in the cover and wired in series with that light only using wire nuts.

To your original question you could have it work either way depending on how you wire the new pull cord, but generally you would just have it impact the single light. If you have access (drop ceiling or open) then I would just run a couple more wire runs so you can have additional dimmers at the wall and not have to worry about pull chains. Also as some people mentioned you can get remote control bulbs (home depot was clearing some out for $7 the other day) where you can use the switch to turn power on or off, but dim / turn off individual lights from an app.

Back