Pump losing prime

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nap737

Reaction score
We're selling our house and it's been sitting vacant for a few months. Over this period, the water has been checked and the pump keeps losing prime. We've had a plumber there four times and each time he gets it to work by priming it, but it doesn't seem that the problem is fixed, and we need it to be resolved for the house to close next week.

The last time it happened, after priming, they left the water on a slow trickle so it would be actively used. It ran fine on a trickle for a couple weeks, but today the realtor found the water pressure was entirely lost and the pump running. (Same thing that keeps happening)

The plumber said he suspected it could be seals on the pump going bad, and wants $1500 to replace the pump. But he's not confident it will solve the problem! Could be foot valve, etc. There has also been some air in the line. Is this indicative of a foot valve leaking?

Any thoughts about how to diagnose or what might be happening here before we spring for yet another plumber visit and possible pump replacement? If I were there, I'd get a 1/2HP pump from Lowes and throw it on myself.

Last edited:
Sounds like a foot valve to me. I had one that acted up from time to time as the foot valve has to hold back the tank pressure. I added a check valve right before the pump and the foot valve has worked great for years just holding the head pressure.

I take it your pump is out of the well and not a submersible? A leaking seal seems like you would see water leaking out someplace.

Sounds like a foot valve to me. I had one that acted up from time to time as the foot valve has to hold back the tank pressure. I added a check valve right before the pump and the foot valve has worked great for years just holding the head pressure.

I take it your pump is out of the well and not a submersible? A leaking seal seems like you would see water leaking out someplace.
It's a shallow jet pump, no water visibly leaking. I like the idea of the check valve, which due to the inaccessibility of the foot valve under a porch, sounds like the simplest fix.
Thanks for the quick response!

If the foot valve is really shot or stuck open then the water will still drain back and you may or may not depending on the depth get enough suction to get prime back. If it is just slowly leaking because of the higher holding pressure a check valve could help. I guess I would put it as far down the line to the well as I could easily get to in your case.

A well under the porch doesn’t seem like a good idea. If worse comes to worse you might have to put a trap door in the floor for access.

We had the plumber back (again) to put a check valve on the line, and he said there already was one. He's a big guy and didn't want to mess around with the foot valve, so he told us to call someone else.

Found a handyman with a skinny son/helper who was game to pull the foot valve and replace, undaunted by the tight quarters under the porch. Fingers crossed this will be successful!! Our buyers are extremely anxious to finally be in the house -- even volunteered to help with the foot valve job. Just wish I were there to do it myself.

yes foot valve, it is easy to change and only cost $about $15-20.

Back