Question about sump pump maintenance and Fernco clamp

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm going to replace my primary sump pump in a few days and just decided to pretty much rework the way the last plumber ran the backup discharge into the same discharge as the main pump which is typical.
I decided two main objectives:
1) rework the setup into two separate discharges.
2) more importantly, to make future maintenance of cleaning pumps and the pit debris easier by installing either a Fernco clamp or a metal style fernco (mission clamp) with the metal jacket, below the check valve just below the crock lid in the pit so it's not sitting submerged. My "silent" check valves are new and they have Fernco's on each end of them and are to snug in there to remove I'll have to cut the discharge pipe below the check valves to get the pumps out for maintenance. I really don't want to cut and replace piping every time I do maintenance. This is why I think a fernco down low would make perfect sense.
Question is, is it ok to install a fernco on a 1hp pump for this "ease of removal" plan and if so is it ok to use the ones that have the metal jacket around the rubber? I was thinking that the metal jacket ones would be stronger and lower the risk of the thing rupturing and blowing water everywhere lol. I've heard mixed things about both doing this plan and the use of metal jacket fernco clamps because they don't add as much fit compression because of the jacket on them? My other idea was to use a pvc union just for ease of pump removal, but was thinking unions tend to come loose easily especially with vibrations of pumps and what not.
Please guys, any advice is appreciated. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1573.PNG
    IMG_1573.PNG
    245.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm also wondering why I don't see more sump discharge setups setup this way with a union below the check valve to make replacement or routine maintenance much easier than having to fight with couplings and having to pry up on existing piping to unslip the pipe

The existing rubber couplings on your check valves should be able to twist and slide out of the way, to take the pumps out for service.
If they seem tight, get the pipe wet, the rubber will get more slippery.

A better system might be that same style of check valve, but with pvc unions on both ends.

Adding extra couplings to make service easier is fine.

A one horse pump might need the shielded coupling.
Otherwise a plain rubber coupling might blow out after a while.

I have used the shielded couplings on powerful pumps for garden ponds, they work well.

I completed this task last night and used two pvc silent checks with unions on the ends. Cut out all the installers piping and redid it all with two separate discharge lines. Was outside last night at 3am boring out a 2" hole thru my rim joist with my neighbor thinking I've gone mad lol.

Back