Question on screws for a security screen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldpops

Reaction score
Hello All! I've gotten some wonderful advice here on a few subjects before so I thought I would ask another question. We have a metal security door on the front of our house like the ones they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. Anyway, we want to change the lock set on the door. Currently, there are two locks on the door: the door-handle with lock and a separate dead-bolt. The screws that were used to hold the old lock strike/latch's in place in the door are the ones you would normally use on a wood door. When I took the dead-bolt latch out to take a look, I can see that the screw holes in the door are threaded/machined. I don't have a gauge or any old screws laying around to size them but my guess is they are something like 6/32 or 8/32. When I looked at the entry door lock kits for sale at Home Depot, they come with wood screws for installation. Just wondering if anyone here knows what size and type of screws are used on these metal security doors to hold the doorknob & dead-bolt lock strike/latch to the door? Thanks in advance to all who offer assistance!

It's been a long time since locksets came with latch screws that had both metal and wood threads.

When I've replaced them, the threads are usually no longer useable, so I drill them out and use an 8/32 stainless, lock washer and nut to reset the latch. A right-angle needle nose makes easy work of this.

Back