Re-paint Aluminium Outdoor Furniture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
IMG_20190628_141441.jpg Hi, I have an aluminium outdoor table, but some of its surface coating have been pilled off. I would like to use black paint to re-paint the whole table, at the same time, to cover up the pilled off areas. I consider to use Spray Paint. I have two questions:

1) Do I have to do any preparation work before I re-paint it?
2) What kind of Spray Paint that I need for this purpose?

Hope some paint/repair pro can give me some advice.

I have attached a photo showing the pilled off paint area for your reference.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
After vigorously cleaning and a light sanding where needed, I've had excellent results using Rustoleum Gloss. In my case, spray was not appropriate so a brush was used. From the pic it appears that you could use spray.

Hi DFBonnett, is sanding an important procedure that cannot skip?

Up to you. You might want to sand where it peeled to feather the edges out a bit.

G'day ccypue, Big project you are taking on. Lots of things you need to do before repainting, or finishing. Is it wood, or metal? Either way, you want to sand and feather out the old paint... I am attaching an article from Family Handymen magazine with some ideas on how to sand, grind, prime, paint and so on... Hope it helps ya out...

15 Tips for Painting Outside Furniture

Cheers~

Back