Recirculation Pump Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by drlvegas, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1

drlvegas

drlvegas

drlvegas

I had a Grundfos recirculation pump installed in my house a while back. It didn't seem to help a whole lot, but some. There is a shower past the sink where the valve was installed that we haven't used for a long time. We now want to use the shower again, and there is no hot water. Is it because the valve is installed before the shower? Is there a solution?

Thanks

2. Jun 26, 2009 #2

Redwood

Redwood

Redwood

Certified Lunatic

I believe your problem more than likely is the lack of use on the shower.
    Newer valves are pressure balanced Which provides anti scald protection. In most cases keeping the temperature +- 3 degrees.
    When a valve is not used it is not uncommon for this pressure balancing valve to lock up.

Can you provide the make and model # of your valve or, if unknown a picture...
    There are different designs of different valves so in order to tell you how to fix it we would need that information...

3. Jun 26, 2009 #3

drlvegas

drlvegas

drlvegas

Thanks for the response.

To find the valve do I take off the handle and the plate behind it?

Is the probable fix going to be something a relatively handy(although by no means a plumber) guy can manage?

4. Jun 26, 2009 #4

Speedbump

Speedbump

Speedbump

Water well etc.

I wonder if when you installed that circulation pump did you insulate the hot water pipes that your circulating that water through? I hope your not trying to heat your house in the summer with your hot water pipes.

5. Jun 30, 2009 #5

Redwood

Redwood

Redwood

Certified Lunatic

Can you provide the make and model # of your valve or, if unknown a picture...
    There are different designs of different valves so in order to tell you how to fix it we would need that information...