Reloading ammo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a MEC VersaMec to reload my 12 gauge shotgun shells. By the time you buy your Red Dot powder, the 25 pound bags of shot, the boxes of primers, and the wads, it costs me about $4.00 to reload a box of shells. When you can go to Wally World and purchase a new box for the same price, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. Keep in mind these are prices from a few years ago, and I'm sure the prices are up higher than that now.

Roughly how much does the equipment cost to get going? He is just curious.

The little MEC cost me ~$150. They are not too bad on the wallet. Of course, you can get the costlier auto primer set up with the auto rotating base for ~$350, but really how fast do you want to be? I could reload a box of 25 shells in about 10 minutes.

Thanks I will let him know, I guess out there it is more difficult to get ammo so reloading is more worth it.

Remember, it is also difficult purchasing black powder as well so he would just be chasing his tail. Also, Los Angeles County has a one week moratorium on ammunition purchases until after New Years to stop idiots from shooting guns into the air. Another dumb law IMHO.

Make sure you only use the specified powder and do NOT mix black powder and smokeless power. One is an accelerant and the other an explosive.

Also, unless specified be careful to NOT compress the powder charge. This changes the way it behaves when set off and could be dangerous!

I recommend buying a book called "Modern Reloading : Second Edition" by Richard Lee. He is the creator of the Lee presses, but most of the info isn't brand specific. Lots of very good info, and there is a ton of load data for a ton of different rounds. It also has sections on shotgun reloading, muzzleloading, and bullet casting.

Make sure you only use the specified powder and do NOT mix black powder and smokeless power. One is an accelerant and the other an explosive.

Also, unless specified be careful to NOT compress the powder charge. This changes the way it behaves when set off and could be dangerous!

Otah is correct. I was just trying to explain that all shooter's supplies have gone up in price. For shotgun shells, I use (Alliant) Red Dot smokeless powder. It is really clean burning.

I have tossed it around for quite a while.
now with the fed's getting more involved.
maybe its time to step up?

here is Az, most everything is readily available.
and me being the hoarder, I'd stock pile everything!!!

mostly 9mm, 40cal, 45 auto and 45 LC
rilfe............. 30.06, & 30-30.

I see $$$ flying away!!!!!!!!!

I agree. get what you can while you can still get it.

So my brothers father-in-law came to Christmas dinner and we were talking about reloading and he said he has an extra set of just about everything I will need to get started in reloading for the low price of nothing. Score!

I tried to give him a gift in return but he doesn't seem to like freeloaders.....

That answers my question then. The freeloader is still there, huh?

Yup I'll PM you later, I'm headed to Bass Pro to spend some money now.

Should have hollered. I could have met you there since I need some gun cleaning stuff.

I actually ran into one of my hunting buddies from big Bear and was there til after 9 just hangin out. I hate going there because I own everything I can afford and want the things I can not afford.

I like going to BPS every once in a while, but there isn't a lot of things I need and don't have. They do have a really good hotdog stand outside the front door though...;)

So I finally got the free reloading stuff about a week ago. Now I need to find a place to set up a little work bench.

Years back I bought a CH press with dies, powder measure, and several different powders to try. Had the best luck with Speer projectiles, Red Dot powder, and CCI primers. Loaded 222 Remington. Variables sure were noticed with different combinations.

Latest posts

Back