Remove Marble Panel in Tub Surround

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should hire a tile guy.
They will be able to figure out if the panel can be pulled out intact.
Or more likely, the original installer said to hell with the future, and did not build any access panel or a way to get under there.
Then your tile guy can cut the big panel, and make an access point for now and next time.

I don't know. That is what I would have done if I was planning on closing up plumbing without access. That doesn't mean some guy didn't use a whole tube of caulk on it and leave his lunch bag inside just because he could.

Bottom line is you need to get in there you start with the least destructive plan and if that doesn't work you work up to a sledge hammer.

I don't know. That is what I would have done if I was planning on closing up plumbing without access. That doesn't mean some guy didn't use a whole tube of caulk on it and leave his lunch bag inside just because he could.

Bottom line is you need to get in there you start with the least destructive plan and if that doesn't work you work up to a sledge hammer.
At some point a new slab of marble costs less than a guy trying to figure out how to save it. Hopefully I won't have to get in there at all

@Jeff Handy has the best suggestion, high-rise, hundreds of units, someone has has the same problem you are trying to solve - maybe just one of the boozoos could help? Does your building have a Facebook page or NextDoor feed? Both of those are $0 dollars to try.

Worst-case you don’t get an answer; best-case you get the name of a reliable contractor who has done it before?!

Or course I asked them first. They give you a list of contractors that give them kickbacks. It's the same for everything in the building.

If we had that I wouldn't need to be here. I in fact was the one who tried to set up a message board. I got a cease and desist. They don't want us discussing anything that might criticize their use or our money.

Last edited:
I've seen dozens of jacuzzi jobs with no access panels. In fact, my house use to have one of those bacteria bins, with no GFCI on the wet pump, no access to the motor, and leaked so bad that I needed to replace the walls when I finally ripped it out.

We don't have a facebook or next door group numbskull. I can't use what doesnt exist. Its a lot of rich old people who probably still have flip phones

Access to the motor is code, but I think that's it. Just big enough to get the motor out.
A code is just a recommendation that can pay the inspectors to quickly overlook.. Homeowners can omit, provided it was signed off as homeowner installed. If this thing is leaking and you are not on the bottom floor, expect soon to start receiving water damage claims from the units under you. In my opinion, I'd rip it out and start over. Here was the one I ripped out of here. Also, please keep in mind that women should not use these tubs, as bacteria will grow inside the tubing, and cause women nasty infections. I also included the rotten studs and the hot mopped floor and new tile I replaced the tub with. 20190710_155525.jpg20190711_074740.jpg20190606_201834.jpg

We don't have a facebook or next door group numbskull. I can't use what doesnt exist. Its a lot of rich old people who probably still have flip phones
No need to name call. If you can't be nice, go somewhere else. We've done nothing but try and help and offer advise.

No need to name call. If you can't be nice, go somewhere else. We've done nothing but try and help and offer advise.

Except for the guy who was clearly mocking me. Did you admonish him as well? You can get threatened with a defamation suit for something you say on facebook or nextdoor too.

If this thing is leaking and you are not on the bottom floor, expect soon to start receiving water damage claims from the units under you

The unit below me has some water damage, but nobody has found a leak yet. The jacuzzi hasn't been used, so it may very well be something else

Nobody was mocking anyone. This is a private forum, if you are threatening to begin a lawsuit, let me know and I will delete your membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back