Removing Caulk Applied in 1923?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by Rumi, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1

Rumi

Rumi

Rumi

I think I can...

My basement windows are made with a steel frame that tips in and up. They have three panels each. I need to replace a broken pane in one.

What would be the best approach to remove this ancient, dried out, hardened indoor caulk? Do I try to chip it out, try heating it up, grind it out?

Thanks guys, Rumi.

2. Oct 31, 2013 #2

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

What you likely have is window putty and wood frames. This a little tricky if you have never seen it one.
    Google : removing old window putty, and watch a few videos and read some of the info there.

Rumi likes this.
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #3

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

CallMeVilla

Re-did an old house with funky windows ... two stories plus a half-buried basement.

Start with a Putty Chaser. It allows you to use a drill and a bit to carve the bulk of the putty out of the window. Wear a mask.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-6...=60258978012&gclid=CK2F7teXwLoCFQmCQgoduDMACg

Easy Off Oven Cleaner does soften the remainder making it easier to scrape out ... OR, get a heat gun, a stiff scraper, and a firm wire brush. Be persistent, patient, and determined. It will be worth it when you are done.

The

nealtw and Rumi like this.
  4. Nov 3, 2013 #4

Rumi

Rumi

Rumi

I think I can...

Neal, the frames are definitely metal, which will be better than worrying about tearing up wood like you mentioned. :cool:

Thanks for your ideas guys, I have a heat gun, and I'll look into the Putty Chaser as well. ;)