Replacing an exhaust fan without goign into the attic

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My top floor bathroom's exhaust fan is noisy. The plan is to replace it with a new one. My challenge is my attic.

First off, I have about 40 inches of bat insulation up there. I know that is more than needed. Is there a safe way to move in the attic so that I stay on the structure and not go through the ceiling? What should I wear to protect me from the fibreglass? Is it possible to remove the old one and put the new one up all without going into the attic?

You would have to provide some details about the fan before that could be answered. My fan can be accessed from below, but what about yours?

I removed the cover but I did not see any way to remove it. What would I be looking for to be able to remove it from the bottom?

If you can provide a photo of the unit with the cover removed from below I’m sure you will get some advice. If when you remove the cover there is a name plate with a model number a search on line should also help as there may be on line instructions.

That’s a lot of insulation. Did you install it all?

If you can provide a photo of the unit with the cover removed from below I’m sure you will get some advice. If when you remove the cover there is a name plate with a model number a search on line should also help as there may be on line instructions.

That’s a lot of insulation. Did you install it all?

I did not install it. The home inspector pointed out that it was that thick. He said it was excessive.

Here are the pictures
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...2-12FD-4FE6-A50A-9BC7BFB0430F_zpskpagjlge.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...2-E427-4DCF-BCAB-1C1D93DF5515_zps1lrqw4l2.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...9-3807-4935-a0aa-566d8177d8e0_zpsojwtblst.jpg

It is as old as the house, so, I am betting that it was installed during construction.

I’m pretty sure you will be able to find some after market parts to fix yours up and get it running quiet. That’s how I would start out before replacing the whole unit.

They sell motors and blades and new covers to give it a more modern look.

I did a quick search and saw a few motors pop up. I would start by shutting it off and taking down the motor plate. Few screws I can see in the picture. You will get a better view of the motor then to match it up.

Others should be along to offer more help. It has been quite a few years that I have messed around with a fan like yours.

I don't know that I would want to be crawling around over insulation, especially not being able to find stable footing. If you're going to be replacing it with a new model it might be easier to replace it from the bathroom. Get a larger unit and cut out the ceiling opening that's large enough for the new fan and to remove the old one from below.

That unit could have the old 3" ducting exhaust, if so- may want to replace the ducting as well. Use straight smooth wall for less condensation - better air flow than flex pipe. Be sure to insulate/vapor barrier with some flex ducting over the metal pipe, tape all joints of both duct materials, especially the metal elbow joints. Use 4" for optimum airflow. Remove/rake aside loose-fill FG wearing a dust mask, long sleeves, headlamp, gloves with a small long-handled leaf rake to keep as far from the shredded glass as possible. Lay some boards if not adept at walking on ceiling joists/truss chords. Exhaust to a gable end, not near a window/door, house air intake. Not to an attic soffit intake area.

Simply using a 3-4" adapter will give large amount of condensation to mildew/mold in the existing pipe. Turn off power at the breaker before working on. Older fan blades may require balancing, we can help.

Gary

That unit could have the old 3" ducting exhaust, if so- may want to replace the ducting as well. Use straight smooth wall for less condensation - better air flow than flex pipe. Be sure to insulate/vapor barrier with some flex ducting over the metal pipe, tape all joints of both duct materials, especially the metal elbow joints. Use 4" for optimum airflow. Remove/rake aside loose-fill FG wearing a dust mask, long sleeves, headlamp, gloves with a small long-handled leaf rake to keep as far from the shredded glass as possible. Lay some boards if not adept at walking on ceiling joists/truss chords. Exhaust to a gable end, not near a window/door, house air intake. Not to an attic soffit intake area.

Simply using a 3-4" adapter will give large amount of condensation to mildew/mold in the existing pipe. Turn off power at the breaker before working on. Older fan blades may require balancing, we can help.

Gary

Are you local? How do I get a fan rebalanced?

Back