Replacing Moen 1248 Cartridge - retainer nut stuck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleler226

Reaction score
Due to a faucet leak, I'm trying to replace a Moen 1248 cartridge. Moen sent the part and instructed on using the 14272 removal tool to remove the retainer nut before removing the cartridge.

However, the plastic retainer nut is extremely stuck. The 14272 tool was useless for this job. It just stripped the plastic. I've saw some advice to jam a chisel in there and twist. All that did was remove the inner layers of the retainer nut. The outer part of the retainer nut is still stuck on the valve and not moving.

How can I get the plastic nut to separate from the valve threads without damaging the valve? Appreciate any advice.

Due to a faucet leak, I'm trying to replace a Moen 1248 cartridge. Moen sent the part and instructed on using the 14272 removal tool to remove the retainer nut before removing the cartridge.

However, the plastic retainer nut is extremely stuck. The 14272 tool was useless for this job. It just stripped the plastic. I've saw some advice to jam a chisel in there and twist. All that did was remove the inner layers of the retainer nut. The outer part of the retainer nut is still stuck on the valve and not moving.

How can I get the plastic nut to separate from the valve threads without damaging the valve? Appreciate any advice.
Welcome to the forum. Can you post a photo where you are now at with the project and i think we have some folks that can help.

Here's what the valve looks like. The black part that you see is the plastic and you can see it's all torn apart now by my efforts to remove it. But it seems to be so incredibly stuck to the threads of the valve.

Wow it looks to be almost out. be careful not to let it fall down into the valve. I would stuff a paper towel down there to catch any pieces.

I would get something like a sharp screwdriver and give it a little wack at the top being careful to not mess the brass threads up. See if the impact doesn't pop that piece out.

Unfortunately, it's actually not even close to being out. You can't tell from the picture but the height of the plastic nut is about 1-2 inches so it goes a bit down. I've probably removed about 1-2 millimeters of that. I wasn't worried about losing any pieces in the valve yet because under the nut there's the cartridge so it's not going anywhere until the nut is completely removed and the cartridge is out.

So so far, I haven't really made much progress in removing the nut. I've used screwdrivers to try to loosen it up. A chisel and other tools. Even a drill and saw. It's really stuck for some reason.

I just watched a couple videos and the guy had some luck using a soldering gun melting thru the nut. better than a saw or chisel as the heat wont hurt the metal threads.

Sorry I cant be more help I'm not a plumber just a DIY guy.

I just watched a couple videos and the guy had some luck using a soldering gun melting thru the nut. better than a saw or chisel as the heat wont hurt the metal threads.

Sorry I cant be more help I'm not a plumber just a DIY guy.
Do you have a link to the video?

ok thanks! i'll go buy a soldering gun now and try that. I don't know much about plumbing but this really seems like an insane design.

The new stuff with the ball control seem to be better to work on or the real old stuff with the rubber seals you replaced were ok. Some of these designs I have given up on and just replaced the whole contraption. I know that is a lot of work also. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Yeah I'm almost at the point of just replacing the whole thing. The problem is it's very difficult. It involves cutting through drywall, plywood and tiles to be able to replace the whole valve. But hoping the soldering gun idea works out.

Ugh, unfortunately it looks like the soldering idea isn't going to work. I tried that on a part of the retainer nut and while it indeed melted, it didn't help crack the rest of the plastic nut like I had hoped. It seems like every single bit of that nut is stuck pretty nicely on the valve threads. So the problem would end up being that I won't be able to melt the very bottom of the nut because the top of the cartridge gets in the way. sigh...

Ugh, unfortunately it looks like the soldering idea isn't going to work. I tried that on a part of the retainer nut and while it indeed melted, it didn't help crack the rest of the plastic nut like I had hoped. It seems like every single bit of that nut is stuck pretty nicely on the valve threads. So the problem would end up being that I won't be able to melt the very bottom of the nut because the top of the cartridge gets in the way. sigh...
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like whoever put it together used some kind of thread locker. or just years of reaction time between the metal and the plastic just made it fuse together enough the plastic isn't strong enough to take the torque to get it to move.

Unless another member has some ideas it might be time to open the drywall. :(

Is there any sort of liquid that can be poured in there that may help break that bond between the plastic and the threads?

It sounds like you are replacing the whole plastic guts and just want to get them out.

If I was at the point you are now I think I would take my heat gun (oversized hairdryer) I use for removing paint among other uses. Point it down the hole and stay a inch or so away from sealing it tight and let her rip. It would for sure soften the plastic nut to where it will want to pull out with a little help from a screwdriver blade. I’m not sure what is below it and how it will effect those parts.

OK thanks. I'll think about that. (Below the nut is the cartridge and I don't want to melt that right now because if I do, then I'll need to shut off the water in the house and it'll suddenly become an urgent matter to resolve.)

I assumed you had the water shut off. You must have a shutoff valve just for that area?

If it is all under pressure and you did get the nut free wouldn't the pressure blow the cartridge right out?

I would start with figuring out what was feeding this and going backwards and finding the shutoff and if there is none adding one.

Nope unfortunately don't have a shutoff valve just for that area. Would have to shut off the entire house. I figured if I had ever gotten the nut free and the cartridge did blow out, then I'd just quickly run and turn the water off lol. Then replace the cartridge and add the new nut and be done. But since I'm not even close to getting the nut out, I didn't really think too far ahead.

Back