Replacing tub grout with caulk... pipe concern

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmwest

Reaction score
My tub had cracking grout around where it meets the tile so I figured I'd dig the grout out and replace with silicone caulk, as well as replace the cracking caulk that was securing the sliding glass door frame to the tub.

I've removed the grout from the wall side of the tub as well as the non-pipe end, and the caulk from the door frame. I am mostly done with removing the grout from the end of the tub with the pipes, but I am concerned because there seems to be a lot more broken-up grout (or small pebbles, I can't tell) between the gap, and this side has spacers as well. Also the gap between the tile and the tub is wider at the entrance side of the tub rather than the wall.

Photo:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AldBRbQJj45Zh39ZmPjGgdLwvJCh

So my question is:

1) Should I continue trying to remove the broken-up grout / pebbles / spacers?
2) Does this gap look too big to fill with caulk or otherwise not advised

Thanks... this may be a really simple or alarmist question, but I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid (or more stupid somethings)

As I see it, you'll have to fill the gap with something so I don't know that I would be too interested in pulling out all the grout. I'd clean out all the loose grout and then use a colored silicone caulk over it.

You should use a color match caulk in there. Use blue tape just above and below that joint, ooze in the caulk, wipe with a finger, then pull the tape. You'll have a straight line afterwards.

Latest posts

Back